Servitude

Lisa4987
Level 1
Natural Bridge Station, VA

Servitude

I'm wondering how far other hosts have gone with disabled guests. I know this is a BnB, but I have a guest that wants me to do little things. Bring his stuff in from his car, same with his laundry. I'm hesitant to see if he wants me to do it, because they're pretty soiled. Where do we draw the line with our disabled guests? Had I known he were disabled, I would've denied his stay. I'm not set up for pull bars, hoists, extra room. It states as such in my listing. I had to lift him off the toilet! 

8 Replies 8
Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I wonder, are you trained to lift disabled people safely without injuring that person or yourself?

Are you insured for lifting disabled people?

Personally, I would say sorry, no, we're not set up for disabled people, not trained for things like that, and not insured for things like that. I would suggest they find alternative accommodation.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lisa4987 

@Trevor243  is right, don't lift disabled people, my neighbor broke her spine while doing exactly that 😞

Help with luggage at arrival seems ok, but other than that... seems too much to ask from a host or a landlord if you ask me. He should find and pay an assistant.

Lisa4987
Level 1

It's not on my site at all to be able to help handicapped people, even though I'm a personal care aide. He only asked the one time, and now uses the bathroom with the door open. I had to switch his laundry setting today, he was washing clothes while on  thethe wash machine setting and had it set for 3 hours. I dialed it back to 36 minutes. 😥 

He's only my third person, so all this is new to me. 

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I just had a quick look at your listing .... you've ticked loads of "Accessibility" features .... to me, that suggests that you are set up for and welcome disabled guests .... and as it's a room in a house, I guess they just expect that little bit more, or they expect that you're FULLY accessible with everything, so don't need to bring an assistant .... (I haven't read the full descriptions or looked at all photos)

Even if some of our properties have some accessible features, none of them are deliberately designed as "accessible" for disabled people .... I tend not to tick the boxes .... maybe show they're ok for older people, but certainly not for all disabled people .... I don't want to put people at risk, nor put myself or my business at risk ....

We all re-think our listings based on experience .... maybe you need additional information saying what you will and will not do, exactly how accessible your property is etc etc? Maybe you should say to bring an assistant if required? You'll know best about this!

Lisa4987
Level 1

Thanks so much Trevor! I appreciate your experience and wisdom. ☺️

I will untick boxes as necessary and make corrections. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa4987  You don't say how long this guest is booked in for, but if it's for more than another day or so, I think you need to sit down with him and explain that while you don't mind doing little things for him, that booking a room doesn't mean it comes with home support. If he needs a support worker with him when he travels, then that's what he should have.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Lisa4987 

Make a cup of tea, sit down with him, and tell him that you have enjoyed meeting him but that he is requiring you to do things that are not physically able to do (lifting) and are beyond the scope of a host's duties/abilities/comfort zone. 

You can not have him in your house.

Boundaries are being crossed and you are putting your own body as risk when lifting him.  Explain kindly that he will need to cancel the rest of his stay or you will need to call AirBnB and have them do it (tell them the situation...emphasis on the toilet situation and less emphasis on the laundry situation....and that you do NOT want any penalty on your account). Make sure  the cancellation happens during that conversation. 

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Yes I would talk with him & explain you are an Airbnb host, not his personal care taker. If he needs help/support he should have his own designated help!