Sketchy Guest

Saela0
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Sketchy Guest

Yesterday my guest checked in after 3pm as agreed. Prior to accepting the trip, we confirmed that he'd be checking out early (5-6am) the next day because of his needs. I was fine with that arrangement and agreed to be around to collect the keys at checkout. When he arrived, he kept hinting at how early he would be leaving and suggesting that he leave my keys in the apartment  (leaving my door unlocked). I made it clear that I didn't want him doing that and no matter how early, I would be there to collect them. 5 hours into his stay, he contacts me saying his plans changed and he would be getting on the road that same night. I rushed from work to collect the keys, but I have a nagging feeling that he was trying to set me up or run some kind of scam. He seemed annoyed at how flexible I was about the checkout situation, like he reeeally wanted to leave my apartment unlocked. My apartment was left clean for the most part with the exception of some pocket change, a receipt, hairbrush and misplaced wash cloth. I don't *think* anything is missing but I still feel uneasy about how weird he was acting. I later looked at his profile and noticed that he supposedly lives in the same city as me (I completely missed that beforehand). He is a new user  (joined this month) so no reviews. But why would he need an airbnb in his home town for such a short time? Any idea what he was up to?!

17 Replies 17
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I didn't read the 13 replies already posted so forgive the redundancy.

As a real estate agent, I can't tell you how many times I have my clients use an ABB because they closed on the sale of their house but not on the purchase.  They are local but their stuff is on a truck and they need somewhere to sleep.  If I had a dime for every client I sent off to a local ABB, I could retire.  I won't take them in myself because I don't need a conflict of interest to become an issue before my Ethics Board.

The best thing to do is ask.

When my mom had her house treated for insects in Chicago, I set her up in an ABB.  My brother has used them when he gets stuck at work at O'Hare and the commute is a mother to contend with.

I'm having a staircase installed and me and the doggies will be staying at an ABB right here in town.  When we built this house, my husband booked ABBs while we were waiting for our CO from the Town.

Ask and ask and ask and you'd be surprised at the people who use this service.

I plan to start targeting military who are buying in the area and moving in from other states.

Be glad it went well.....

These examples all make perfectly good sense. It's just that given the story he provided, him living in my town, the going back and forth the checkout, and the fact that he paid 130 when he could have spent half that and still had a decent room nearby. Also not sure if I mentioned above but they left behind a receipt that I believe belonged to the girl who was "looking at colleges" because it had her name on it, and it was for future pick-up of her belongings at the cleaners. Nothing added up, and his behavior didn't make it any better.

Five hours is more than enough time to copy a key.  However, a person who would take that approach probably would not leave things behind or have a young girl with him.  Still, it might be worthwhile to ask the police to watch your place for a day or more.  And, the hurried departure suggests someone with a legal situation who was afraid of getting caught.  Show the police the guy's profile, describe the situation, and ask "is it possible this is a case of human trafficking?"

—— 
Wes Groleau
伟思礼