Smart Pricing

Smart Pricing

I am not a host but I do use Airbnb frequently here (US) and abroad.  Recently, and for the first time, I was charged for my stay by what is called the Smart Pricing scheme. I say scheme because it's not obvious to users that Smart Pricing exists or is even being used, unless you Google it. If I click on a location on the Airbnb map and it says $185 per night, that's what I expect to be charged regardless of the dates.  I don't expect it to go up or down based on some theoretical "demand". The nightly fee for my recent reservation in Charleston, SC, was changed after I reserved a cottage over a weekend. It was not obvious, and we did not notice the fee increase until we went to pay the 2nd payment. Surprise, we were suddenly made aware that the total cost was not the $1,000 we expected, but more like $1400. We called, Airbnb said "that's the host's choice, call them". The host said it's a feature called Smart Pricing and they have no control of it.  Hummmmm. So who's telling the truth? I think Smart Pricing is a scam. The price stated on the map should be the price....period. If you don't post the correct price on the website, that's deceitful, if not illegal.

I will not use an Airbnb if Smart Pricing is part of the deal.

Chris Stock 

22 Replies 22
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christopher902 I hope you read the listing thoroughly, including the house rules so you have a successful stay.

Lisa4938
Level 2
San Carlos, CA

Hello -

I have a similar situation.  In August I planned a trip to NYC for Oct 31-Nov 3.  I found my place with (2 guests) and the price was $135 per night +cleaning +service fee.  I clicked Reserve and paid my partial payment. When it came time for the second payment I finally saw my invoice and I was being charge $157/night +cleaning fee +service fee (which was now higher due to increased room night fee).  I have never paid more than what is represented when I click reserve.

I contacted the owner and he said had no control over the additional fee that ABB added for the room nights. ABB says the owner set the price.  I let it go until after our trip fearing owner would cancel. 

We are back now and owner refuses to refund $109 ($22x 4 nights +additional fee calculation).  He says that extra $22 a night is ABB charged for fees & taxes.  But we paid the service fee so why the additional per night fee?  I have been going back and forth with ABB.  They say they see my point about being double charged, but the price is the price.  I have disputed the final payment now with my credit card.

How do I see the full price of a place BEFORE I click Reserve?  This completely shocked me. 

I have have GREAT hosts and get good feedback from everyone I have rented from.  I just don't like being surprised with extra fees.

Thank you for your feedback - would appreciate any insight!

Lisa

@Lisa4938 can you post a link to the listing?

Hello - 

Yes!  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/35569189?source_impression_id=p3_1573148427_emjsE9KIBRRUQz%2FI

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.  I am learning from quite a few friends that this has happened to them too.  I may need to chalk the lost $ as a learning experience.

I checked rates at peek Christmas times and that time is still not as much per night that I was charged.

Lisa

@Lisa4938 All I can say is that the host cannot change the price after the booking is confirmed unless the guest approves and accepts the change. Hosts do not know what taxes and fees the guest is paying. So when the host says he "had no control over the additional fee that ABB added for the room nights" that is correct. Airbnb should be able to see exactly how much you agreed too when you clicked reserve. 

Brian-And-Carla0
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I had a guest who booked who had the same issue with my listing.  If you look at it without any dates selected, it shows the lowest priced day as the price, in my case $295, however when he booked a 3 night weekend stay it was $600+ per night.  He instant booked it.

Later he said he was over charged and it should be $295 a night because that was what was advertised.  I explained him that AirBnB pricing is by the day and that $295 is simply the lowest available day (and I only had one weekday available at that price).   He ended up cancelling his reservation.

This is a case of the AirBnB user not understanding how pricing works for AirBnB.

@Brian-And-Carla0 What I don't understand is how users are missing that? Is the pricing breakdown really hard to find when going through the confirmation process?

@Brian-And-Carla0  I don't understand. The guest would have seen the total price when he entered the dates and the number of guests. He just didn't look at the price, which would have changed when he entered that information? He just looked at the base price? It makes no sense.