Sometimes hosts are the worst guests

Robert613
Level 3
Laurinburg, NC

Sometimes hosts are the worst guests

You would think a fellow host would be a more respectful guest but lately that is not the case. We recently had a host make a request for one of rooms providing no information at all. All she did in her initial email was identify herself as a fellow host who had just received a bad review. That's it. After a few more exchanges where her information was carefully and slowly  revealed, we decided to decline. Why would a host not recognize the importance of clear communication? It's baffling.

Currently, we have another host and his family staying in our home. Check in is stated on our listings as 3-8 PM, it is stated in the house rules and we follow up with at least two emails with that stated. Day of arrival we are informed they got a late start and wouldn't be arriving until 9:30. We informed them that we hoped that was the case as they were missing check in by more than 1.5 hours.  Now I am sitting here waiting for them to check out after check out time has passed. Again, it is posted on the website, reminded in messages, told when they checked in, it is in the information in the room and they were called on the morning of check out to remind them. Still, they managed to miss it and don't seem to be in any hurry despite our prodding.

I guess being a host does not guarantee they will be a good guest when it comes to following the rules!

17 Replies 17
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

You won't get any argument from me @Robert613 , we should have a button we can block any hosts from booking.

Robert613
Level 3
Laurinburg, NC

Just as a postscript, because they rushed to get out (30 minutes late), they misplaced the keys to house and room. That necessitated them tearing apart all their luggage in our parking area for another 10 minutes until the keys were thankfully found. I would like to say I can laugh this off but the experience is becoming too common with everyone ignoring check in and check out times!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robert613  I have a guest arriving in a couple of days who is also a host. First time that's happened in almost 3 years of hosting. So far, her communication has been timely, informative, friendly and appreciative, so I'm hoping that her stay and subsequent review follows accordingly.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hope to be able to come back here in a week or so and report that not all hosts make bad guests 🙂

I think I have had a run of bad luck lately. I don’t mean to bad mouth all hosts but it is frustrating when hosts exhibit such behavior.

@Robert613  Oh, I've read plenty of posts here about hosts having proved to be undesirable guests. But I wouldn't assume they all are. I mean, why would a host bother to come on the forum to say what a pleasure it was to host another host? They might, but mostly people come here to talk about problems.

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

Hard to understand how a host can be so thoughtless. Maybe they are very lax hosts but they have surely had the odd difficult guest so must know what it is like.  

We are at a party tonight and have booked an Airbnb nearby to stay and I hope we shall be considerate and communicative guests!

@Robert613 I can sympathise with you!

My last guest was a host & she managed to mess me around with check in as well. Initially told me she'd be arriving at 10pm, so I made plans around that to make sure I'd be home for her. Two days before check in she messages me that she planned to check in earlier at 6.30pm. Okay, so I change my plans for Friday night dinner to be home. 6.30pm, no check in. 7pm she messages to say she's 10 min away. 7.40pm she arrives, no apology & it turns out she'd been out to dinner with a friend...

I'm still contemplating how to review her, she doesn't deserve 5 stars!

@Rachel177 

say that she was not respectfull for your time and did not respect your check-in time

hello @Rachel177 please do remember to review your guest who is also a host for their tardy communication.

Unfortunately and regrettably I missed reviewing the host who I had a few challenges with that I raised my concerns with in here a couple of months ago.

I'm still kicking myself about it as he was very impolite.

I find it staggering how many Hosts, including Superhosts who fail to write reviews, especially ones who are locals living here in New Zealand where we are on the same timezone.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Robert613, unfortunately can be true. I also had terrible experience hosting hosts. Had to shorten their stay due to their un respectful behavior. But I also had great hosts staying in my home.

I would say that hosts are looking at the place with a bit different eye, but it is professional habit:) 

Hope you wrote honest review for your host-guest. It is important to know how they are acting on someone’s territory. No excuses of “didn’t know, did not read”. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'd like to think I'm a decent guest, certainly all the hosts I've stayed with have said so in their reviews of me.

But I do think we do have high expectations of where we stay. For instance, I booked a place for later this year with a Superhost and it turns out why haven't left a single review for their 100+ guests. They'll be getting a ding for that (communication) and perhaps they'll be on here moaning about me after my stay. Hey ho.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robert613 

yes, like often doctors are the worst patients

Geraldine60
Level 10
Nice, France

Hosts and Super Hosts that have stayed at my apartment over the years I have been with Airbnb have been the very worsts guests imaginable.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Robert613   I've hosted one host so far and she was GREAT! ... However... I am hosting another one today and so far zero communication from her other than requesting the DAY OF, to check in 6 hours early......LOL!

I think it really just depends on the person.