Superhoste cancelation

Nikola3
Level 2
Belgrade, Serbia

Superhoste cancelation

Hi Guys ,

More than a month ago I was misfortunate since I had a guest who booked my place, but unfortunately our capacity at the time was not enough for his needs. We made a mistake and forgot to lock the dates and this unfortunate event took place. Guest was full of understanding and he had no problem with cancelation.
Because of this single honest mistake I lost my superhost status?? Almost all my guest love the place and my ratings are sky high. I just can't believe that after all I did and so much effort and commitment I made to get the status I lost it because one cancelation. Not cool!

Any suggestions what can I do instead of waiting for October??

Thank you and have a nice day.

Nikola

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Your post is ironic, @Nikola3 because I just responded to a post by a traveler who had 3 hosts cancel his reservation due to reasons other that extenuating circumstances.  Calendar and pricing management errors are not extenuating circumstances, so the automated response related to cancellation unfortunately includes loss of Super Host status for a year, not just until October.

As a traveler on this site as well as a host, I count on the Super Host badge to mean both great reviews and some certainty that the reservation will not be cancelled.  While your guest agreed with the cancellation, I can tell you my recent trip would have been ruined if the host had cancelled my reservation.

The more positive side to your situation is that once you manage your listing to the standards of Super Host, you will certainly qualify in a year and you will continue to receive high reviews.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your answer, even though I don’t understand why would you say I am ironic?? Whole point of mu question is that I am running a successful hostel for 2 years now, and I never had a problem like this. I was trying really hard to meet all the standards and to get a superhost status, just to be kick out for one single honest mistake that had no consequences what so ever. I find that totally unfair!

@Nikola3  I thought your post, not you, was ironic because I had just suggested to a traveler who was complaining about several hosts cancelling on him that he use the Super Host badge as a search criteria because Super Hosts don't cancel.  Your post about cancelling struck me as ironic because you just made the mistake of cancelling a reservation.  While I can understand that in your case the guest did not have a problem, but what would you have done if the guest plans were disrupted?  I think that is the reasoning behind such a strong penalty on the Air BNB system.

While @Branka-and-Silvia0 may be correct that Super Host does not favorably impact the search and booking, here in the US, there is a Super Host specific phone number that I have found to allow easy access to Air BNB.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Nikola3

unfortunatelly you will not wait until October but to July next year 😞 

There is nothing you can do now except keep hosting like you did before.  Guests usually do not pay attention on your badge, they see your location, price , photos and reviews . We didn't noticed any increase in bookings since we become superhosts , it is just a badge 🙂

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Nikola3,

Airbnb acts only through their automatic software and statistics. They don't read all communications so they don't know that the guest was OK with the cancellation.

Maybe there's a case for a software change so that a guest can click to agree with a host cancellation.

There isn't anything you can do as the cancellation wasn't due to a listed extenuating circumstance

and there isn't the option to claim penalty free cancellations when not having instant book.

The loss of superhost eligibility is for a whole year, not just until the next assessment in three months time.

Steve.