TROUBLE

Alida31
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

TROUBLE

I suffer from middle ear issues which causes imbalance/vertigo, especially after long flights. I contacted a host prior to booking and asked if I could check-in early so I could lie down. She said that was fine. I booked at her place, but on arrival, she told me that someone was in my room and I couldn't check-in. She wouldn't even let me lie down in her house. 
I was so dizzy I could barely walk. I had to leave my suitcase at her place and walk down and lie in an oval for 6 hours. While there, I had no water, food, and I was nearly mugged (I had my laptop out and a guy on a bicycle kept circling; I had to finally lie in the full sun because it was near a couple of other guys; I ended up sun burnt). Air bnb contacted me and promised they would help me find other accommodation. I needed somewhere close by because I'll be catching up with friends in that area in a couple of days. I couldn't find any nice cheap accommodation in that area, so I sent a link for something just a little more expensive (not much considering what I'd gone through). Air bnb stopped getting back to me and wouldn't confirm if I could book. My phone was nearly flat and I didn't know what to do, so I found another, cheaper, place in London and quickly booked (I didn't have time to google the address because I had 2% battery). When I went back to get my suitcase, the host had locked me out of her house (I had a key, but she'd locked both locks). I then had to sit on her doorstep for long time. When she arrived she laughed in my face and said- because you asked me to cancel the booking, you can't write a bad review. I began to cry. It got worse. My phone went flat and then I had to walk my suitcase up a steep road to a cafe, charge it, and then call a taxi from there. It was then that I found out that my new accommodation was 3 hours on public transport from where my friends live (also a 1 hour taxi ride which cost me $100.00 AU; I sent Air bnb the receipt asking for refund and they have manually removed the receipt from the conversation). I rang airbnb and they told me that they would help. The gentleman said he would personally fix this terrible thing that happened to me and move me closer to my friends. He promised me that Air bnb would make up any financial losses. He promised me he would take on my case personally until it was resolved. But then I received a message through air bnb, where he stated that he won't take on my case, and that it was being passed back to the person who didn't fix things last time and who left me stranded in an oval, spinning like a top. It has been hours and I still haven't received any contact from air bnb. Now I'm stuck on the other side of London, 3 hours on public transport from where my friends are. The first week of my holiday is ruined; and worse still, air bnb are no longer answering my calls!!!! I just want to cry. I wish a booked a hotel room.

19 Replies 19
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alida31 I am sorry this happened to you but it would be probably best if you did book a hotel, you would have a receptionist for everything you might need at any time and hotels have more employees, they could help you if you needed anything. The host has check in time for a reason, she was probably trying to be accommodating when she said that you could check in earlier but some other guest came up, she can't kick him out. But she definitely should have notified you. Also, in your state, you should just go to a local hospital or an ambulance where they would take care of you, I suppose you are insured. Where were your friends all this time? Could none of them have helped you? That aside, Airbnb never recompensates your financial losses, they give you a full refund and +10% to make up for the possible increase in price due to the last minute reservation. Did you make the other reservation on Airbnb too? You can ask them now to help and relocate you in the area you wanted, maybe they will be more helpful with that. You can try contacting them on Twitter or Facebook too. 

This is the exact same reponse that an AIR bnb consultant gave me, nearly to the word. Clearly you work for them and are there to try and look like a community member. Just makes me realise just how corrupt and dispicable Air bnb truly is!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alida31 ohhh I wish they paid me 🙂 This is the reality, I am sorry you don't like the response. You don't like the responses from all of the hosts here. We have nothing against you, if you want I can sugarcoat it and tell you that they will pay for everything but it is very likely that they won't. I tried to help you with advice and I don't appreciate your attitude honestly. 

Airbnb should pay you @Ana1136  for all the free advice you give out! haha

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Emilia42 hahaha it would be enough if they paid me every time someone thought I worked for them 😅 I was just trying to help her understand how Airbnb works from what I have read here. I don't know where this attitude comes from. She even told @Elena87 that she looks like her host so they must be related. People get so defensive and think everyone is against them when they don't like something and it can't be further from the truth. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's a shame that knowing your condition, you didn't book an Airbnb to cover the night before your arrival, so you could have been guaranteed access to a room when you arrived @Alida31 

I am sorry you have had such a difficult experience when you arrived. There is really good availability in London at the moment for Airbnbs so you should be able to find something much closer to your original location.

I would suggest now you have more time, cancel the Airbnb you are in currently, once you have found and booked one nearer your friends.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Alida31 

Sorry to read of your unfortunate experience.

Did you agree with the Host to check in at the time you arrived?

If they knew you had a medical condition that's unacceptable to treat you so disrespectfully.

It's a basic Human Right to be treated with respect & dignity.

You may like to reach out to @Laura_C who is Head of Customer Services via PM system on here (she's also an Australian) & discuss with her your concerns to see if there's a positive way forward.

I'm not qualified re payments of expenses incurred in your situation however it sounds like you have had a challenging time.

Maybe you can claim those losses back through your Travel Insurance.

Always take a phone charger or powerbank with you if you can to keep your phone charged.

Meanwhile take care & enjoy your time with your friends & holiday in London.

All the Best

If you are near the London offices of ABB CC you may like to pop in & see those who work in Admin on here in CC.

It can be daunting traveling abroad & not been familiar with the area and distances.

Of course I agreed with the host. I have a message from her confirming that I could check in at 9 am. 

Clearly all these commenters work for AIr bnb. This company is pathetic.

@Alida31 I actually do work for Airbnb (thanks @Helen427 for the tag!) ... but the other commenters do not 🙂 If you want to send me a private message here on the CC I can follow up on your case with Customer Support and ensure everything possible is done for you. I'm so sorry that you had such a difficult experience ... I have a couple of friends with vertigo and have seen how hugely difficult it can be.

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Alida31 

I didn't get the part about who cancelled and why?

Three hours away on public transport?  That sounds like a bit of hyperbole really.

Watford to Rochester is coming up with a public transport travel time estimate of 2 hours.

Alida31
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

The host cancelled it. The reason why is because I told her that I was going to write a bad review, given the fact that I had to lie in a park for hours. Air bnb then called me because they knew I was stranded. As for travel time, it's 2:45 minutes> Ps you look just like my host, I'm pretty sure she's from Russia. Wouldn't be surprised if you're related.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Please don't make racist comments here @Alida31 it really doesn't encourage people on this forum to help you and is not in line with Airbnb values around diversity and inclusion.

And no - none of us work for Airbnb. We are a community of hosts and guests who give up our time and expertise to help people like yourself with advice.

Throwing out insults is not a good way to encourage people to help you.

I am a little confused as to why you didn't just book a hotel for the day when you found out the host had made a mistake regarding giving you an early check in??? rather than 'lying in a park for hours' - yes you would have been inconvenienced a little but would have been able to carry on with your original plan and be near your friends.

You could still have written your bad review.

I am truly sorry that you had such a difficult start, and that your friends weren't available to help you when you arrived (for example by letting you have access to their house so you could lie down when you arrived), but hopefully by now you have moved to a different Airbnb close to your friends.

I am sorry but there is something about your story that is not quite adding up.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Alida31   If your host told you that you could check in early and then refused, that is wrong.  It's also wrong that your bags were locked inside the unit and you couldn't get to them for several hours.

However, some of the other things you mention are not really related to airbnb, such as losing your phone charge, getting a sunburn?  and  then picking a place that is 'too far' from where you want to be or the cost of a taxi.  

I'm unclear on how the cancellation went, if you cancelled or the host did, but airbnb will surely refund the majority of whatever you paid for the cancellation and usually will give a small $$ toward your next place, but they're not going to refund you for a taxi fare.