That old chestnut... Location ratings

Lena101
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

That old chestnut... Location ratings

I think location ratings should not be number from 1 to 5 but be an entirely separate rating - 'Accurate in listing' or 'Not accurate in listing'.  It is then up to us as hosts to be as honest as possible and it wont bring our rating down. Guest can then add  comments if 'Not accurate' what is inaccurate and the host can rectify this is their listing.

I am a superhost with consistently five stars in all areas , but very occasionally (like today) I get a four on location (and even more rarely and always justifiable I get a four on cleaning - it's a shared kitchen and I'm not around 24/7).

I don't mind getting a four when it's justifiable such as with the kitchen but location is really annoying especially when I outline extremely clearly where the house is located.  

17 Replies 17
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lena101 sharing your frustration.

Have you heard of the app "what 3 words"?

Might be worth putting those words in your welcome message.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

We can complain about the location rating till the cows come home, but it won't make the slightest bit of difference. This particular metric has nothing  to do with reflecting the convenience, attractiveness or amenities of your neighbourhood, and everything  to do with helping Airbnb identify and centre their map searches on the money-spinning hot-spots in any given town/city/area, and facilitating their algorithms to funnel browsing guests directly to the most lucrative enclaves for the platform. And as such, it won't be changing any time soon (or ever)

Patrik12
Level 2
Bordeaux, France

I agree with you all.. The entire rating system is flawed, especially location! Just because of Location (not overall rating), I lost my SuperHost status for 9 long months in 2018, because our working class neighborhood in Bordeaux, France, is in the midst of an upheaval of razing and rebuilding.

Here's how I solved the problem and won back my Super Host status -- I changed the description to be more than honest about the neighborhood: 1) All the problems are detailed: demolished buildings, multiple construction sites, prostitutes, loud nightclubs and their noisy clients. 2) I add, "If this kind of mixed neighborhood in transition bothers you, please don't come!" 3) An explanation of how a low rating (4*) on location penalizes us with the overall rating.

So my advice is to go to the max with the location "perceived problems," lower the price to give great value, and head them off at the pass!

See my listing for Mascaret Garden Home in Bordeaux: airbnb.fr/h/mascaret-garden-home

Bon courage à tous!