The Name on your Host Profile

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

The Name on your Host Profile

Hello all,

I saw a host that had a name listed that clearly isn't their name, but they have verified ID, social media profiles, etc. I did wonder how people set up profiles with more than one name (Jack & Jill Smith, for example), but I guess people must just go back in after creating a profile and completing verification and change it.

Is this allowed by Airbnb? If it's set up as something that isn't even a person's name, doesn't that kind of go against the whole "Airbnb is built on trust" thing? Adding another person's name to the profile, like adding a spouse who is the co-host, doesn't really strike me as being the same. 

I'm just really surprised, and feeling a little bit uncomfortable about it now that I know that people can make up whatever they want.

Thanks,

Alexandra

11 Replies 11
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Many people use a "fake" name for many types of social media, @Alexandra316.  I never thought to do that myself, but some do.  The Air BNB verification is not dependent on the profile name.  If this make you uncomfortable and I would guess you are not alone, would you be better served by the traditional hotel system?  Shared economy is not for everyone.

Alternatively, you could establish communication with the host of a listing and develop a better sense of the host and if your expectations would be met with the listing.  Be sure to read everything in the description, introduce yourself and let the host know your travel plans.  

I'm a host myself, Linda, and I am very comfortable with the sharing economy. Again, I thought the sharing economy was built on trust: a fake name seems to be the antithesis of that to me.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I looked up the terms of service, and paragraph 4, section 3 does seem to cover it:

4.3 You must provide accurate, current and complete information during the registration process and keep your Airbnb Account and public Airbnb Account profile page information up-to-date at all times.

So why is it allowed to have something in the name feild that isn't even a name?

Interesting thank you. 

Jorge1421
Level 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL

How did you find out that the name listed is not the same as the person who registered with Airbnb ?

Interesting, I would like to know so I can be more careful with the people I host.

Thank you !!

@Jorge1421 The host name was like Lucky Cat or something similar, and the pic was of one of those beckoning cat statues.

Got it !

Thanks

By the way, I just added my wife's name to my profile. 

We always had our pic together, buy only my name appeared on it.

I asked Airbnb and they replied that I can add her name to my existing account and there was no need to send any ID from her, unless she wanted to create a new account.

Obviously, I just added her name, but my history and reviews remained the same.

Hope this info helps you !

can I ask how you did this?

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

I agree with you, @Alexandra316. It seems to me that there are many hosts (like me!) who are insistent that guest's real names should be used in their profile. It is only right that we hosts do the same, and use our real names.

I see "entity" names (like "StayWhatever" or "BlahBlah Properties") of hosts who are demanding real verification from guests, and think to myself...isn't what's good for the goose, good for the gander? Of course some of these may well be legitimate corporate names, but I somehow doubt that's the case in the majority.

The use of real names DOES encourage trust. We should all be held accountable for this. I would encourage hosts to do it even if it is not a requirement.

@Jennifer1421 Yeah, the fact that any guest or host can just make up whatever name they want really bothers me, and I don't understand why Airbnb continues to allow it. It seems like the antithesis of building trust to me.