Trouble with Potential Guest - Help Please?

Trouble with Potential Guest - Help Please?

The short version of the story:  Got a long-term (3-week) reservation request with a loooooong story from a potential guest. Simulataneously I received a message in my ABB inbox from the "Travel Dept" at ABB saying that they were trying to find a new home-stay for this woman because she got kicked-out of her current place because she had a "service dog" with her. Her story was such that I felt compelled to break my own "no small children" rule and accept that her Shih Tzu is, in fact, a service dog and not a pet. (I don't allow pets as I'm trying to keep the space as allergen free as possible.)  In messaging with the guest, I learned that her original reservation request was off by a week - she wants to stay 4 weeks, not 3 - so I sent her a "special offer" with the booking dates she wanted and a long-term stay rate. We set up a time for a personal check-in because of the length of her stay and the fact that she has both a child and a dog.

Yesterday, I called ABB customer service three times and talked with 5 different people because 1) I got a message from her saying that the booking link in the special offer wasn't working so I contacted them to see if they could help 2) followed up to the first call and to express concern that I hadn't heard from the guest 3) final follow up because I still hadn't heard from her and she was due to check in shortly AND no one from customer service had followed up with me as promised. I didn't hear from the guest until 11:30pm last night (I was asleep) at which point she suggested that it's been all ABB's fault - they're handling everything wrong, the link still doesn't work, and they're not communicating with her.

Honestly, I don't know who to believe or what to do. Instinctively, I've been on the fence about this rental to begin with and was just trying to help out. Her lack of communication yesterday created a lot of inconvenience for me. 

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1
Noel102
Level 10
Houston, TX

If she can't be troubled to communicate with you promptly when there is allegedly a sense of urgency to the situation, decline it.  This has trouble written all over it.  I would NEVER accept a re-home for someone who was kicked out of another booking.