UK - Rubbish thrown in wrong bin

Answered!
Felix-Lam0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

UK - Rubbish thrown in wrong bin

I am a host in UK and we have a 3 bin system for rubbish collection. Despite clear signs and repeated request to sort and throw the rubbish, many guests continues to throw black rubbish into the green bin which is suppose to be bio only. It is costly to hire a cleaning services so I had to empty and sort out degraded trash a few times. 

I have tried to ask them not to throw it in the bin, but to leave it in the house so I can throw them into the correct one, but many do not listen. Is there anything I can do?

I consider installing CCTV and ask the guest to foot the clean up bill if they do not follow, but not sure if Airbnb will enforce it and how much it can affect number of my guests. 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Felix-Lam0 You could have it as additional charges. If you write it everywhere and the guest agrees to it in your house rules, and the cost is onerous enough then most will probably recycle properly

Looking at your listing it is not clear that you want people to do that, so have it as a house rule to start with and make it really clear.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Felix-Lam0 You could have it as additional charges. If you write it everywhere and the guest agrees to it in your house rules, and the cost is onerous enough then most will probably recycle properly

Looking at your listing it is not clear that you want people to do that, so have it as a house rule to start with and make it really clear.

Gail-And-Rod0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Do you have a sign on each of bins, designating what they are for? I would put a label on each bin.

Also put it  in house instructions as to which bin is  to be used for what. Add smiley faces to the bins. Add a sign in the kitchen or by the door closest to the bins as well.  It'll make your Guests smile and be more willing to help out and put items in the right bins.

All the best to you!

Gail