Unfair cancellation from guest and I get punished

Sean-Rhys0
Level 2
Queensland, AU

Unfair cancellation from guest and I get punished

Just had 4 guest who first of all came 3 hrs early without notifying me (even though I asked what time they expect to arrive and didn't respond) and expected me to drop everything and check them in while I'm at work, luckily I was in the area so was able to

Then 6hrs goes by then they moved in, cooked food made a mess, brought mud though the place on brand new carpet, had a sleep in the beds and left a mess in the kitchen

Out of no when I go over to drop more toilet paper stating they going to cancel and don't want to pay as one of them found a bug, I ask what type of bug and I could only think a fly as they left the doors open and the place is brand new, next minute the story is no a bug went into my son's ear place is dirty, insisted its brand new and place is clean advised they are more than welcomed to cancel but they will still need to pay for the first night has they have been there for 6hrs at this point and didn't say anything till now, they went on to say not good enough advised if I could clearly see these bugs I would agree with them but couldn't provide any proof as obviously there was no bug and just had a change of mind on the accomdation and don't want to pay

I straight away advise Airbnb support regarding the incident and how they are just abusing the refund policy to get out with fulse statement, 3 hrs later the guest makes another story up to air bnb support it's being the mattress is dirty and has a stain on it, I get slap with a host cancellation and 10 days blocked out which they booked because of them pulling at straws on a way to get out of the booking

As of this moment Airbnb support taking their side even though I tried to do the right thing to resolve any issues and clearly told them what the original allegations were which completely changed

Had a gut feeling from the start when I saw they just signed up and had no reviews it wasn't going to go well, definitely put me off from ever giving another new user to airbnb a place to stay

Think it's completely unfair how one sided this is and that no one will give me a call to discuss, someone from Airbnb please contact me

5 Replies 5
Cathy600
Level 2
Boston, MA

My red flags

If they could not use instant book - It means they did not meet my criteria so

I investigate and question any and all requests that:

1. Just joined within the last  two months

2. Live in the same city as I do

3. Request a dinner party not a "party, party" with a no party policy.

4. Do not have any reviews or have negative reviews

5 Ask to smoke inside and pay more? What? or off-grounds ( so in my neighbor's yard?)

6. Give too few details when asked about their trip or stay. 

Hope that helps

Yes thanks, I definitely won't be booking first timers again

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Sean-Rhys0 

Your experience is really a shame but I would not necessarily put it down to first time guests. We have had many guests with no reviews and, touch wood, all have been very nice and looked after our place well.

I am sure that this will experience will be forgotten once you have more good guests!

Sean, sorry to hear your story but I may have had similar experience and maybe worst dealing with Airbnb who don't respond and I am searching the community forum before I make a full reply to see if others are suffering the same and not having any support from Airbnb. I would echo others view that not all guest are rude and disrespectful and unfortunately all guest starts with 0 reviews like host start with 0, so don't be deterred by one to two bad booking and do the best you can as a host. In crease your damage security to cover proper damage because £50 - £300 does not cover anything unless you are thinking glasses and plates. Lol came to the house to see my furniture in the garden whilst guest was having an unplanned party, no help from Airbnb.

What Airbnb and other holiday agents needs to do, for all bookings for guest or host there need to be a red flag if need be for guest who have stayed in places and has had no reviews or left reviews. As host we should be able to click on that guest review even if 0 and it should record any number of property the guest has stayed. I understand that some guest enjoy their stay but for some they don't feel they have the time to review and in some case what they have to say they feel its better to say nothing and this say volume. 

I have concerns about booking policy, refund and much of what has been happening during Covid - 19 because Airbnb appears to be making cancellation without the host involvement and or making proper refund to guest or to the host. All is geared in Airbnb favour for the product we hold.

Host don't receive payment until 24 after guest has stayed and in some cases guest only book stay for one night so how is that right. In many instance Airbnb is holding guest fees for months to nearing a year that is not right. Simply the host must receive payment on or before guest arrive. For new host I understand 24 hours payment  reserved to ensure there is a bonafide property and host, but after 7 days of any is letting is completed by a new host payment should made before or when guest enter. 

As I said at the start I wont make a full reply of the concerns yet as I am waiting for Airbnb reply and I want to see if others have made complaints that best suits to join or if I must start new.

Simon2709

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sean-Rhys0 

I simply won't host a guest who doesn't respond to me about check in time. I don't even accept a booking if the guest doesn't respond to that question. Even if they don't know at that stage, they need to acknowledge the question.

I will keep asking them, first via the Airbnb messaging system and then, if it's getting close to the arrival date, I try texting their phone. Failing that, I call Airbnb who will then try calling. That is normally a good wake up call for the guest. If they don't even answer Airbnb, then Airbnb normal cancels the reservation penalty free, although of course then you do lose your money.

I'm sorry Airbnb has treated you so unfairly. I would continue to pursue this if I was you. How can they enforce a host cancellation when it was clearly the guests who wanted to cancel? Also, based on what evidence? Did the guests provide photos of a dirty mattress? If not, where is the proof?