Unfair treatment

George722
Level 2
Seaside, CA

Unfair treatment

Lets review this situation.  I get told I need to install a new roof and its going to cost me $2,500.00 to do this installation.  I didn't want to have a leaking roof this winter for a client this winter.  

So I needed to cancel a three clients because it would be a mess and noisy for a client to stay so I cancel 3 folks for the week its going to take to install.  

I notify AirBandB that this is necessary to prevent a client having a leaky roof this winter.  So I loose money for the cancelations ($500.00).  I did the cancellation 30 days in advance not the 19 days its states in my review.  Now I realize I'm being  fined ($100.00) so far by AirBandB for improving my property for the future clients that will be staying this winter. So AirBand B is now controlling how I live and take care of my home.

This is completely wrong of you not to understand the situation. But the Bungalow would not be livable for that time the roof is being installed 

Now my question is two fold:

1)  What would have happened if I said nothing to the folks staying the week while the work is being done, and the Bungalow would have debris falling all over the inside of the Bungalow  all over their cloths, towels etc.  I would get a bad review but I would get paid. 

2)  What would happen in January of 2020 and a large storm came and tore roof off and water would have severe water damage would occur and clients would be unconvinced and something of theirs  items damaged.  Another bad review but I would get paid.

But here I'm trying to not have this happen and your fining me, I would have thought you would be delighted that I would be investing $2,500.00 of my money to keep this from being a problem for me and AirBandB.

Superhost!  Yes because I'm the manager of my property and seeing that that repairs are getting done instead of waiting for a problem then fixing a bigger problem

I'm so disappointed that AirBand B didn't support me in this matter, but instead treating AirBandB is treating me like a" idiot"  to have the gull to do this repair to the Bungalow

I don't get it and I want a person other a case worker explain to me the logic in your thinking because at this point you have no logic no reason to strip me of my Supper host statice.  I want a Director of Operations, to write me and explain your reasoning. 

Before you respond please read my reviews just some and get idea of the person I am and how I represent AirBand B.  Take that moment

George

11 Replies 11
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@George722 this falls under their extenuating circumstances policy and if you had just called them providing proof they would cancel all the reservations that needed to be canceled penalty free. You should never cancel yourself. You could contact them know and ask if you provide documentation will they be able to make some changes. 

No I did call and other than the young man answering the call got what I wanted to do.  He transfer me to a case worker that was totally condescending and didn't hear what I was trying to do I wasn't even sure if she knew what a roof or what it took to replace a roof.

All she kept saying that I would be fined for cancelling the existing reservations between the 20 -26th of July.

I said I would send pictures of the work being done.  

The Work is being done by a former employee of mine who I help get his contractors license.  He replaced the roof on the main house 2 years ago.  So knowing that the roof on the Bungalow had to be 25 years old, I asked him to come by and see if the roof needed replaced and he informed me it did so I scheduled the work with him immediately.  At the same time I immediately call AirBandB and informed them of the situation.  I'm very upset with the no support regardless of procedures that I got no support only fined and got review of cancelling clients 19 days before their stay it wasn't 19 days by the it was 29 days. 

All I was trying to do is prevent a problem that needed to be done before it happed I've had a roof blow off in a storm and I lost everything with water damage.

No AirBandB is not hailing this matter professionally, instead support I get fined and made out like I'm irresponsible.  And Frankly I'm very disappointed who this case worked acted and my image of AirBandB is of her and how she handled herself.  Listen to the tape I tried to explain a least 3 times to her what is issue was, finally I asked to talk to her supervision I was put on hold and then the line went dead.

Not good AirBand B.  I've owned my own Construction business for 42 years, and if I had a employee ask like her see would be gone.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@George722 maybe try Twitter, people tend to get better and faster responses there. Airbnb employees usually handle these situations correctly, you must have had very bad luck to get an incompetent one. 

George722
Level 2
Seaside, CA

You know I don't know what Super host is all I know is I do a great job and I expect great support.  I'm booked until November and I'm glad for being booked.  Its because of my past reviews that people read. Thats what's important to me that people enjoy themselves.

But this is a lack of respect plain and simple and I won't stand for it never have never will.  I just want this to be right as its stand now I'm not seen as a good host and I the best host I can be that's why I clean the Bungalow myself people deserve the cleanest possible stay.  

I expect to be respected that's all.  I'm sure you feel the same way, about what you do!  So in the review in the remark host cancelled clients 19 days (29) say installing a new roof people understand that why then.  Its not right the way it is now.

What do we have to do to get this right I want it right.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@George722 I understand you and I understand your frustration, you have every right to feel that way. But literally the only thing that comes on my mind is to keep contacting Airbnb in hopes that you will find someone who understands the problem. 

George722
Level 2
Seaside, CA

Arn't you AirBandB, who I'm I talking too!  Can't you call someone and get this right. I'm sure I'm not the only person that been left out to dry. 

Isn;' there a grievance part of AirBandB to go to?

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hi @George722 

Your accommodation looks really lovely.  I understand your frustration with your situation at the moment. However, this page is simply a community forum of hosts and guests, chatting to each other, offering support and hopefully offering solutions to situations that we ourselves have encountered previously, at work or in our life experience.

Kind regards,

Lyn.

@George722:
I can actually understand Airbnb's position in this matter. During May we remodeled a home, but through planning and foresight blocked off the affected days so no one would be booked and, therefore, would not need to be cancelled.

George722
Level 2
Seaside, CA

Thanks Lyn, now I understand. Who I'm talking too!

No AirBandB isn't going to understand they have made that clear, I'm so surprised how narrow they see the situation.  I'll just let it go, but thanks so much for hanging on and reading my complaint.  

What I have done because AirBandB won't let me block those dates and they won't let me cancel those dates, I answer the reservationist and tell them what is happening that the Bagalow is going to be very messy and loud construction is going to be happening I just want them to know the situation so when they choose to come anyway they have been told what to expect

Its too bad my image has changed of the organization.  

As long as I meet the wonderful folks I have its fine.

Thanks Lyn

George722
Level 2
Seaside, CA

Being a roof and not knowing before hand I needed to replace it, its different in that it has to be dry weather to do the replacement.  And I could put it off for open dates I would but there are no open dates until November which could be wet here on the peninsula.  

Its fine, I'm happy to hear your thoughts

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@George722  What Ana was suggesting was that you try to contact Airbnb again and plead your case. Sometimes you just get an incompetent rep and the only way to deal with that is to contact again in the hopes that you get get a more competent one. And contacting them through Twitter is said to get the best results.