Unsupported during COVID

Travis57
Level 2
Lincoln, Canada

Unsupported during COVID

Hi, 

I had to cancel a long-term guest because they had to go back home as a result of COVID when the pandemic first hit in March. The least I could was refund their stay and not profit off of the pandemic. They had a new born and were just starting out. Now that I've re-opened, Airbnb continues to garnish my bookings as a result. It seems categorically unfair that because of my goodwill, the company gets to keep their share but leaves hosts without any recourse. To date, nearly every booking I had this summer cancelled and I have not received any restitution. 

I read and understand the policies, but when I discussed this at the time, I was assured that Airbnb would work out a policy in this instance and to date, nothing has happened. 

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Travis57 

I do not know the details, but when those long-term guests had cancelled the reservation themself and Covid was the reason for it, they would have probably received all money back (According Covid  cancellation terms).

You should not have cancelled the booking yourself, as you will receive "punishments" from Airbnb . Alternatevily a long term reservation can be shortened. 

When subsequent other bookings were cancelled and those Covid terms apply, Airbnb would also have paid back to the guests the servicecosts charged and would have paid you some money for compensation of the lost booking. (I received it for few bookings cancelled because of Covid)

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Also, thanks for the reply! 

Travis57
Level 2
Lincoln, Canada

That was not the advice I received at the time.  The guests left March 19th and were meant to stay until April 5. Airbnb Covid policy was not articulated until March 30th so neither of us cancelled the reservation. I sought advice from Airbnb and they said I would not be punished for helping a guest out by refunding them their stay when they had to leave in an emergency.