Upgrade to AirBNB Plus - where's my narrative disappeared to?!

Answered!
Naomi152
Level 3
Plaxtol, United Kingdom

Upgrade to AirBNB Plus - where's my narrative disappeared to?!

Hi all - I've recently been upgraded to "Plus" status but AirBNB took control over the narrative in my listing which has basically been shrunk down to 3 lines.  Previously I'd included a detailed narrative in my listing which contained a lot of essential information.  Since the listing went live, I've had 3 enquiries which, if my previously listing was still available, would have answered the questions and save time for both the potential guest and for me.  I've emailed AirBNB to ask if it's possible to reinstate the more detailed information, but I've not had a response (have been waiting for 6 days).   We're generally busy, but bookings have gone very quiet - not sure if that's just because of the time of year - we're still in our first year, so haven't experienced Autumn "volume" as yet.  I'm really considering leaving "Plus" - even after spending the money for the photos, inspection and making the suggested fixes (and waiting for months from the start of the process to the finish).   Don't want to jump ship if it's just teething problems, but I'm really disappointed with the listing and wouldn't have bothered if I'd know my detailed info wouldn't be included.  Has anyone else experienced this?   Thanks all.

1 Best Answer
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Naomi152   Welcome to the world of Plus where you lose all control over your site. They will not put your previous narrative back. You get 2 or 3 sentences now that they create and you can not change it. Period! You have no say about any of your photos or the order in which they are displayed. Also as you said an inquiry  from every potential guests is now your future since there is no narrative anymore, so you will need more and more time devoted to your AirBnB account to handle them all. You need to keep up your response rate at or above 95% to stay in the program, so you are now glued to your AirBnB phone app. You will also be reviewed at a much higher level of scrutiny by your guests would be my guess since your listing is suppose to be top of the line that AirBnB offers. This program is not working well for most of the hosts that have signed up for it lots of views, but no bookings.  

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35

I've just recently joined Airbnb Plus and not happy.  I have two properties that were excepted in the program. One of which I waited to upgrade to see the difference. The property that I didn't upgrade to PLUS has gotten 8 bookings in the last month with almost 900 views.  The Airbnb PLUS property (which is bigger and much nicer) has gotten a third of the views (298) and 0 bookings.  I had a professional photographer take picts which are far better than what they've uploaded and I can't use any of my own photos.  I'm very disapointed with this process. We should not be limited when upgraded. Seems  a little backwards.  I've put a call into AIRBNB PLUS and they're supposed to get back to me within 48 hours. We'll see.  Has anyone reverted back to their original listing?  Can we go back to our original listing if we OPT OUT of PLUS?  

Yes you can! Just finally figured it out tonight, update your app to the latest version and under your manage listing there will be a big beautiful button that says, “Leave Airbnb Plus”! They couldn’t of added this soon enough! It reverts back to your old listing, there were a few pictures I didn’t mind from the Plus Program so I saved them and reloaded them to my old listing. I figured I paid $200 for them, I should be able to keep them! I wrote about my experience on a comment on this post below, but what you mention is just one of the many problems I had with it. 

We just got our Plus photos and property description sent to us and we are deciding to not “upgrade” to Plus. The photos are horrendous! The description section is far too short and not descriptive at all. I’d love to know who thought this was a good idea to implement! I contacted support a week ago and have heard nothing. 

Chad149
Level 2
Boone, NC

So glad I did a serch on Airbnb+ .  I just started the process and was never fully comfortable with the program to begin with.  I already have professional photos and tones of views and booking.  To loose the ability to have seasonal photo's and descriptions will kill my market.  We have 4 seasons and need to have them represented... 

And they wont to come during our slow season when it's depresing outside...  cold and snowing...  What kind of photos will I get!! definatly noting that will increase my bookings!!  No thought goes into choosing the proper time to join = a train reck to come..  So no Airbnb + for me!!! 

Chad 

@riverfontretreat 

Sri9
Level 1
Ubud, Indonesia

I am in Ubud, and was the second Airbnb listing in Bali! I was selected and was filmed to be a part of the app airbnb created giving advice on how to list properties!!!! (One of my suggestions is underpromise and over-deliver).  We have 10 listings in Ubud. Now the second  of our houses is up for Airbnb Plus. I have been trying to get the cover photo changed, since the aibnb photographer included a photo of a two story concrete block of a house that can be seen from our pool. This is not MY HOUSE! My house is a very open one story traditional teak house. I have sent 8 emails to an airbnb plus contact asking to please, please, just change the photo to a photo of the living room that is already part of the listing.  NO RESPONSE at all!!! I'm in the US on vacation and now have called airbnb in San Francisco. They promised to send the request to the team that works on this. I am not optimistic! We have one listing already live on airbnb plus and for the firt time ever, the people checked in and wanted to leave immediately. The photos and description are just too slick! They are not really descriptive of our natural villa. Our descriptions plus our photos made our house distinctive to the guests we wanted to attract.!!! We created our own filtering system and it worked. I agree that taking out so much information is already leading to a lot of PROBLEMS!!! I'm very close to opting out of airbnb plus for our second listing. Does anyone know if you can opt in again later?

Elizabeth24
Level 10
Dana Point, CA

I, like many of you thought I needed to go on plus to get back to the top of the listings bc I was getting buried under the plus listings. So I got approved and very shortly realized it was a bad idea, I’m still looking for that “leave Airbnb plus” button. The photographer that comes is under very strict guidelines of what they can photograph. So he missed 50% of the things that make my rental unique and desirable and that people comment on most. I was there during the shoot, so I told him what additional photos I wanted. He was very reluctant and did some of them, kind of, in the way Airbnb wanted - aka only full room shots from a straight on angle. Then, when your listing is put up by them, they are the ones to pick the photos used - not the owner. Which is nuts, bc the owner knows the space best and what the guests gravitate to regarding the listing. Not only that, you can’t move the photos around in different orders and they chose the cover picture - of which was a ridiculous choice in my case. Oh, and they want you to re-word your whole new listing rather than transferring over your old and allowing you to make changes - much easier. (After several emails they finally got it and somehow transferred my old descriptions over - not sure if they’ve made that standard yet.) On top of that, in my listing in general and life actually,  I tend to under promise and over deliver naturally. Guests were always surprised by the unexpected touches and amenities. Now, bc its a plus listing I feel like I am having to over promise and am under delivering - even though I’ve changed nothing. Everything is the exact same as before except these guests come with a new set of expectations and more entitled attitude. Not to mention, I didn’t even raise my rate when I changed to plus so it’s not as if they are paying any sort of premium for their heightened expectations. So, if that wasn’t enough - I went from being booked 28 days last month prior to plus, to getting 2 - 2 day bookings - after being on plus. My guess is bc they dont pick the most alluring cover photos. By the looks of it, they default to a bedroom shot. My kitchen, living room are way more beautiful and appealing to the average guest. And last but not least, guests used to leave reviews immediately, without me ever asking bc they were so excited and in love with their stay. They were communicative when they got there and it was an actual pleasure to host them bc I knew they were grateful and loved my home. The few plus guests I’ve had... radio silence and no reviews. Oh, and I’ve rec’d more spam/ annoying questions from random people that put in a fake set of booking requests just to ask me questions or try to wheel and deal than ever before. Anyway, I preferred the early Airbnb days of humble house guests who felt the community of the experience, who were grateful and gracious - rather than the snobby guests plus attracts. Bottom line, don’t feel bad if you are not on plus. Just keep being a superhost, pick your best cover shot, and reply quickly and you will make your way back to the top. Plus has been a headache and killed my bookings by 80% ... still searching for that dang button.

UPDATE: I updated the app on my phone and found the button! Plus now deleted and back to my old listing that attracted my favorite humble down to earth guests. 🙂

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is ever so helpful. I was distraught because Airbnb plus suggested that I update my look. I have a grandmotherly shabby chic home that's really beautiful and I took it personally that Airbnb plus wanted me to make updates. I can understand cleaning cobwebs, getting a lock box etc. but with your post I see that it's not worth it. This is just a gimmick for AIRBNB to make more money. Let's face it. 

I was one of the first Airbnb hosts in Europe, spoke at the Paris conference because they asked me too, have a ton of rave reviews, and people actually *like* and have complimented my decor. I'll take a pass, Airbnb Plus!!!

Cynthia73
Level 2
Campbell, CA

Hi Guys,

I have just gone through this process. In getting ready for I spent thousands of dollars painting my house and buying new appliances... needed it anyway. Plus Plus Plus so to speak. I got the pictures back on one of my units and I was shaking and almost cried as some of the pics some were so bad.  I can't imagine anyone booking my house based on those awful photos. I reached out and sent an email I also called Airbnb. So far no one had gotten back to me. I just put the process on pause. Also the pics were taken in January when the garden looked it's worst. I am a professional designer and I have professional photos  and marketed tested copy in place that already keeps me booked. Airbnb Plus wants to use those crappy aweful pics with no angles which are basically house mugs shots. These are not magazine quality photos as promised. In addition they took all photos in the worst weather of the season so the skies were dark and my house looks dingey.

I am so glad I am not the only one experiencing this disaster. I won't be moving forward with Plus until they fix this  I know a few professional photographers I am going to take better pics again in April.

Cynthia73
Level 2
Campbell, CA

OH PS .. The Second bedroom shows a pic of me with a caption underneath as double bed..lol if you saw me you would get the joke as I am very buxom.

haha...this made me laugh! In my plus listing...there is a picture of me as "outside" space. lol...I am not a fan of Plus

Eileen-and-Trevor0
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

They are just rolling out Airbnb Plus  in my area, Bath in England.  It is a year round tourist city and (apart  from when I'm away ) I've had airbnb guests every week  since 2013.  I get lots of viewings and bookings, very few questions, and 5 star reviews...which I believe is down to my personal detailed description and my range of professional pics of the property and surrounding sights,  all of which I edit fairly regularly..

I have booked a Plus inspection date , but am seriously uneasy now from what I've read here

I'm seriously uneasy too, I'm canceling the "inspection" (which is apparently not an inspection at all, it's a visit by a photographer and your listing is actually "inspected" from afar by somebody behind a desk). I'll wait and see if the program is improved first. My comments below in a separate post.

Katie---Sean0
Level 10
Carlsbad, CA

Wow. I’m so glad I found and read this entire thread. The Airbnb Plus photographer is scheduled to come in 4 days. Apparently one of our listings “Driftwood Bungalow” was handpicked for inclusion, and I’ve been offered the opportunity free of any charge. 

I’ve been a pro photographer in the past, so my pics are already very good. I don’t want somebody changing them, or dictating the order.

My listing copy is very detailed because we offer 30-day minimum stays and I don’t want anybody changing that either. I think it’s best to put it all out there including our strict house rules, and if guests don’t want to book that’s fine. In fact so far all my guests have told me our strict rules are one of their reasons for booking. They know it’s going to be a peaceful haven here. 

I tried to get a call with Airbnb Plus to ask all of the questions that I just discovered my fellow hosts have kindly answered for me here — but no luck yet, we'll see.

So regardless of the freebie I’m probably canceling the photography and Airbnb Plus upgrade for now. My listing is already doing great, it’s booked up for the next 5 months! No need to change anything, especially if the experience is going to be as described here... no thanks. Hopefully Airbnb will work it out so that hosts have more say in their own listings.

Hello! I am experiencing all the above... they  have made a mess with the photos mixing rooms... and the images were taken in winter so my garden was not at its best (no flowers no leaves) and I cannot add new images. I start feeling the frustration describe my the majority of the members. I hope they are going to improve soon the system or I will go back to the old one. I never had so few request and booking as since I joined the plus. Awwww 

Stephanie359
Level 2
Greensboro, NC

They invited me to Airbnb plus on one of my listings free of charge if I signed up by May 10th. I did so, now they’re holding my last booking payment claiming it’s for plus. I have screen shots of emails and push notification on my phone stating it was free. I’ve been complaining for 4 days about y money to no avail. This terrifies me. I’ve since cancelled the plus appointment with no money being released back to me.