Verifying Guests

Katherin-and-Massimo0
Level 2
California, United States

Verifying Guests

Hello, we have just started and are getting many request from people without reviews and/or unverified? I would like to set up a phone or video conversation with them but the airbnb message system won't allow the sharing of FB profiles, emails or phone numbers. Is it inappropriate to ask for this information? What can I do to feel more secure with these potential guests?

Thank you!

10 Replies 10
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Sounds like you are getting a lot of new Airbnb guests.  Take the opportunity to educate you guests on how Airbnb works and how to get the most out of it.  I usually send them something along the lines of this:

"Hi [insert name here] - thank you for your [inquiry/reservation request].  It looks like you may be new to the Airbnb system - WELCOME!  At a minimum, me and many other hosts require you complete the vertification process through Airbnb.  This includes vertifying your social media accounts and uploading a government issued ID.  The Airbnb platform is built on trust - from both the guest and host.  It is also helpful to fill in your profile completely, including some information about yourself.  Hosts like to know what kind of person may be staying in their home.  Also, please let me know what brings you to our area?  Visiting friends?  Site seeing?  Will you having anyone traveling with you?  Once we get these details out of the way, I'd be more than happy to approve your Reservation and look forward to meeting you in person."

This is so helpful. Thank you very much!

We are new hosts too. 

What if the guest's AIRBNB profile says his Personal info, Email address, Phone number have been verified by AIRBNB, how do I access these info? 

Thanks for your help.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Celeste38n

You don't the information is held by Airbnb.

Have a look at Airbnb's Help Section and search for Verified IDs and it will tell you how the system works.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Katherin-and-Massimo0

Hi - about 50% of our guests are new to AirBnB, with no reviews. So that in itself is not unusual. 

We go on gut feeling and email exchanges and we haven't been wrong so far. If it ever feels in the slightest bit wrong, then trust your instinct and decline, otherwise you will be stressed out for the duration of their stay.

You won't be able to exchange any personal information before a booking is confirmed - I know some people have tried very clever ways of doing so, but you are going against AIrBnB policy so you would not be covered anyway in the event of a problem.

Some people insist, as part of their booking process, that people provide ID on check in. If that would make you feel more comfortable, then go for it. However, it's a bit of a false sense of security as there is no way of knowing if a document is fake, etc. And, it's no guarantee of good or bad behaviour.

Best perhaps to only take guests who have reviews from other hosts until you feel more comfortable with hosting.

Good luck

Thank you so much for this. It is really important for us to know the limits for Airbnb and what is or is not covered. Glad we are figuring this out now 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Katherin-and-Massimo0

BNB doesn't allow contact betweent guest and host till the guest has book to protect both you as the host and the guest. People have been known to get contact details in order to burgalise a home, harrass you or to try and beat you down on price.

It also protects them as some unscrupulous guests use direct contact to bypass the system and try and pay in cash.

There are other listing that allow contact so if this is an essential for you, you may be better using them.

I am sure you have already had a look around the information BNB provides for hosts and its help section, but a few things

1. Only take verified guests who have provided BNB with photo and social media ID

2. Only take guests with previous reviews - but you will severely limit your guests as most are new to BNB

3. Make sure your guest have a photo and description on their profile and that they tell you about their plans and why they chose your place (don't have instant book turned on so you can chat via messaging before confirming a booking).

4. If you don't feel comfortable decline.

Check out the community guides here too on the Community Help forum.

Thank you very much Helen. I will check out the community guidelines right now.

@Katherin-and-Massimo0

Now with all that great advice from @Helen3 @Gerry-And-Rashid0 @Cynthia-and-Chris1 you'll find that guests will often take a while responding, sometimes due to other time zones. In that case you can follow up with another message indicating that you have 24h to confirm/decline their request and that if you haven't heard back from them within that period you will need to decline  in order to avoid Airbnb penalties. But that they can simply re-submit when once they have ... (done whatever needed to be done) and sending their reply(s).

Thank you for this Andrea! And perfect timing - this is exactly how I need to respond to a request today.