Watch your cancellation refunds! I just got hosed.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Watch your cancellation refunds! I just got hosed.

I have a strict policy. I had a guest book on 5/31 for 7/3 and 7/4. She cancelled yesterday on 6/20. Today I got an email from airbnb saying... "

According to your cancellation policy, a complete refund was given to the guest.
For more information on cancellation payouts, please read our FAQ.
Your calendar has also been updated to show that the previously booked dates are now available.
Regards,
The Airbnb Team"

Naturally, I knew this was wrong so I double checked the website and found out if you use the STRICT policy... "For a full refund of accommodation fees, cancellation must be made within 48 hours of booking and at least 14 full days prior to listing’s local check-in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check-in." 

Her cancellation fell within the 50% group I think?... "For a 50% refund of accommodation fees, cancellation must be made 7 full days prior to listing’s local check in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check in, otherwise no refund. For example, if check-in is on Friday, cancel by Friday of the previous week before check in time." 

I'm currently on hold with airbnb CSR now trying to straighten it out. They told me "oh, I see here that you have a flexible policy & that's why she got a full refund". I told them I never signed up for that and how do I change it. The CSR started walking me through it ans said... "Oh wait, you do not have the flexible policy"... I said "I KNOW!" The CSR then went back to the"snapshot" of when the guest booked to see if I had a flexible policy then and changed it back since then. NOPE! 

EDIT: 22 mins on the phone and CSR couldn't give me an answer. They're supposed to call me back when they figure it out. Although, I don't really think it matters WHY the mistake happened. It happened and I had nothing to do with it. They should just give me the 50% now and figure it out later. 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Donald28 

Your listings show "strict" cancellation policy. As the cancellation was more then 7 days before check-in, guest is entitled to 50% refund of accomodation fee + full cleaning fee. So you should receive 50% of accomodation fee. Airbnb probably refunded all the money already to the guest now they have to take some back or pay you from their "glitch" fund ;>)

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Thats exactly what happned and now I'm waiting for airbnb to pay me ther 50%. No word in 2 days.