What is an appropriate review?

Jason56
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

What is an appropriate review?

Hello Everyone,

Alright, so I've had all fantastic guests, except for the last set. They didn't trash the place or anything, but they smoked cigarettes and pot in my house, which was expressly forbidden. I could tell that they smoked when I met them by the smell, and I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke, so I told them at least 3 or 4 times not to smoke in the house. When I came back to clean up though, the place reeked of cigarettes and pot. They had lit a candle, and had put drier sheets around the house to, I think, try to mask the smell. 

After walking around the house, I was furious at them for smoking in the house and had just received the notification to give a review. I ended up giving them 1 star on everything except for communication, as they were alright there, and I wrote a somewhat scathing review. Now though, I am feeling kind of bad for such a bad review. The did put most of the sheets and all of the towels by the washer and drier as I requested, and they did a load of laundry.

What do you think? I know that AirBnb won't change the review, but maybe I was too harsh? Not really sure.

3 Replies 3
Allara0
Level 2
Florida, United States

I'd like to hear responses.  I currently have a guest who (although I don't know how to prove it with evidence), has exceeded my maximum capicity.  Not only is that a problem, but she also is this way avoiding the extra guest fees.  I can't even charge them since my max is four and I can't change the reservation to more than four people.  She is in there now, but I'm unsure how she will rate me.  She is a new Airbnb user. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If your capacity is exceeded, you have to step in. It is a serious issue. They will have to leave. If you can fit 4, then they will have to pay for 4 and the rest can go. The payment through Air means that they have to have internet connection as you will not get paid unless they hit ''accept'' on the new total.

As far as smoking inside goes, no. Just no. There are no words harsh enough. Smoke outside as much as you like. But I think it is best to cool your heels a little before writing reviews as they reflect back on you too, in the long run. Future guests might wonder if they are in for a bad review too? ''Guests smoked inside despite being informed about the no smoking policy'' would be enough for me not to want them come and stay at my place.

In regards to getting sheets off the beds per instructions, I actually prefer it when guests don't. I find it easier to check for damages when they are still on the bed. If I arrive to find sheets stripped and bundled up I know the likelihood of needing an overnight soak is high.

Barbara23
Level 1
Cadaqués, Spain

In fact I dont like reviews. I had more then 200 rent 5 percient bad once from people they should never come back to my house. Drunken and destroyed people. Airbnb dont remove this evaluacións iam upset