Why am I charged more for reducing guests?

Why am I charged more for reducing guests?

Hoping you can help. We have booked and paid for an entire villa a year ago. At the time we booked for 4 adults and our 2 kids. Last week the couple staying with us indicated they can now not come. So now it is just 2 adults and our 2 kids. The dates have not changed. Air bnb is now wanting to charge me an extra $422 for making the amendment to the number of guests. I contacted the owner and she said it is not her. She has no idea. Help anyone??

3 Replies 3
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

When a change is created it becomes subject to whatever rates are now. So, if abb collects tax now but didn’t then - higher rate. If the host has increased pricing - higher rate. You could ask either abb or the host or both if they will delete your guests and not charge you more for doing so. Seems simple enough. 

Or find some extra friends to bring. Or just don’t change your guest count. 

Extra unpaid for guests are a serious violation. Showing up with less people doesn’t seem to matter at all. 

Any changes in the rates made by the host or ABB since you made your booking will affect the new pricing so you could just talk to the host, explain the situation and arrange to keep the reservation as is for now but ask the host if they'd be willing to refund a certain amount for the change in no. of guests after you check in and the host is able to confirm the total no. of guests that actually stayed.

I had a similar situation with my guest when she tried to change her check in date to 1 day later (about a month after her making the reservation and more than 3 months remaining till the check in date) due to a change in her flight schedule she got a higher total so  I just told my guest let's agree to keep it as is, and I will refund you X amount (which was based on my payout  amount rather than what the guest paid) for that 1 night once you check in. I was planning to block the day before anyway because I didn't want to do a same day turnover so it worked out for us.

Thanks guys. The host knows nothing about the extra charge so it muct be abb. I am not sure how to get hold of them. I am not able to reply to the email that was sent to me outside the abb inbox..