Why do guest not leave a tip

Moriah8
Level 1
Newbury, VT

Why do guest not leave a tip

Can anyone tell me why guest do not leave a tip when they are pleased with their stay and everything is spotless ! Whenever I stay somewhere I always leave a tip for the house keeper . 

11 Replies 11
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

I think it is because Airbnb isn't a hotel and the understanding is that we are private people renting out our houses, not professionals? I know lots of people are professionals and make a living from Airbnb, but the majority on here are not, so I don't think anyone would consider tipping at an Airbnb. I'd love it if guests brought me a bottle of wine, but I'd be close to insulted if they left money. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Because, thankfully, Airbnb hasn’t been Americanised to the point where a 18% (or whatever the magic number is now) tip is mandatory. Please, no, no, no and no. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Moriah8 It would be so awkward if they did. I hope this won't become a trend in the furture. What is the point of the tip? You should have all costs covered in the price, what difference would a tip make? Are you not paying your cleaners enough so that they depend on the tip? If so, I would suggest increasing the cleaning fee so that you have enough to cover all the expenses. 

I do all of my own cleaning and I originally did not charge a cleaning fee. I was brought up to tip your hairdresser, massage therapist, hotel or motel and just anyone you thought did a really good job. I was just very surprised that guest normally do not leave a tip . I guess it’s an appreciation thing for doing a really good job is how I have always looked at it. I’m sure I am one of the few that think this way looking at everyone’s opinion. 

@Moriah8  If people are getting paid a living wage, they don't need to rely on tips to make ends meet. People should have enough pride in their work to do a good job at whatever they do without doing it just because they think it will earn them a tip. Employers in the US and some other places are doing quite well for themselves and expecting their customers to subsidize their employees' wages. 

Tips are nice, but they should never be expected.

Linnea-Or-David0
Level 5
Ochre Beach, Canada

@Moriah8 Speaking from a guests point of view, I'm so glad tips aren't a thing with Airbnb!  I find tipping so awkward.  How much do I tip... did I tip too much, not enough? Would it be taken as an insult? Like seriously, the anxiety runneth over when at hairdressers, massage etc.  Don't make me do it at my precious Airbnb's!! 🙂

Now as a host, the absolute best tip you could give me is a share of my listing and a rave review on your social media.  In fact, this has just given me an idea for a little note card or message saying something of the sort. Thanks!

@Moriah8 

Where I live we don't have a tipping culture and think it's very strange for people to have to tip others for providing a service that one is paid to do (= doing your job). 

Personally, I'd be very offended if a guest tried to tip me..... you only tip someone you think is there to "serve" you, and my understanding is that you don't tip someone who is your equal or your 'host". Tips go to people who clean up your messes, serve food and drinks, wait on you, or run errands for you etc. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Moriah8  I  would be so mortified and insulted that I would not know where to put myself if a guest tried to hand me a tip.  I'm a host who chooses to host in my own home, not a minion begging for scraps.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Moriah8 I'd say about 10% of our guests leave a tip. (If one is left, it goes directly to our cleaner.) Definitely not expected.

@Lisa723  @Moriah8 I agree with you about tipping the cleaners. If cleaner can get extra from tipping, it does encourage the cleaners to do better job.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Moriah8 

Hi- hope you are well. 

I think it comes down to cultural differences. In Europe we generally don’t give tips even at restaurants as it’s usually already included in the overall bill- personally this is very much an “American” thing, it’s not viewed in the same way here.

As mentioned by others here it can also be received with some awkwardness- I think unless you are staying in hotel listed on Airbnb then better to avoid. 

When I stay in a hotel I leave a tip for both management and cleaners but in a private home I leave a thank note/card with some chocolates or something. I believe this is probably what you are getting with your international guests. 

Overall, I think if someone wants to thank you with whatever it may be- a simple and gracious thank you is enough. If it was given in the form of money and this does not suit well with you then there are plenty of charities etc who would be very grateful. No awkwardness is needed, especially where kindness is involved.

Have a beautiful day!

Yadira 🙂