Wifi

Answered!
Garfield1
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Wifi

I had internet failure due to a cable fault for 6 days over new year.

The failure and repair thereof was obviously out of my control.  The guests  who were in the house at the time are asking for 'at least 15% refund' which I feel is excessive.   

Any suggestions on how to resolve this.

1 Best Answer

@Garfield1

I agree with @Branka-and-Silvia0 and I have actually stated in our listing description that the wifi we provide to guests is primarily for host use and SHARED with guests at no additional cost. At least from where I stand, guests cannot ask for a partial refund for something that is provided for free or is a complimentary service. 

And we have a disclaimer at the end of our house rules saying "The host(s) shall not be held liable if the host is unable to provide services or amenities due to circumstances beyond the host's control such as but not limited to governmental acts, general availability of the Internet or electricity, communications failure, natural disasters or local emergency." 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Garfield1

you will probably get contrary opinions as an answer for your question.

My opinion is that the host is not obligated to compensate for any inconvenience outside his control. You provided everything you have promised. You have the router and cables and you pay for internet access but you don't owe cables and you are not responsible to maintain them.

I would refund them only if I could be refunded the same amount from my internet provider.

@Garfield1

I agree with @Branka-and-Silvia0 and I have actually stated in our listing description that the wifi we provide to guests is primarily for host use and SHARED with guests at no additional cost. At least from where I stand, guests cannot ask for a partial refund for something that is provided for free or is a complimentary service. 

And we have a disclaimer at the end of our house rules saying "The host(s) shall not be held liable if the host is unable to provide services or amenities due to circumstances beyond the host's control such as but not limited to governmental acts, general availability of the Internet or electricity, communications failure, natural disasters or local emergency." 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I’m in the other camp I’m afraid on the basis that the internet is pretty much regarded as a utility these days. 15% is probably too much, but they’ll argue with Airbnb that a promised utility wasn’t provided.

Garfield1
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thank you all, it has been helpful to get your opinions. 

Although this has been a failure out of my control, I shall offer the troubled guests a small percentage refund as a gesture of good will. 

Indeed internet or Wifi is as suggested by Gordon is 'regarded as a utility these days' and I am sure is used as a deciding factor in deciding where to stay.

I will also immediatly edit my listing to cover myself for any future failures.  

Ted31
Level 2
Rock Island, IL

I could use a little input.  I am thinking about offering a service that would allow Hosts to receive a text/email notification if the Internet connection goes down at their location(s).  It would cost around $2.99/month, less for multiple locations.  The main benefit being it allows the host to possibly get ahead of a problem before a guest notices.  As Hosts, would you use/buy a service like this?  I really appreciate your time.