accuracy feedback, reading the property description

Janna40
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

accuracy feedback, reading the property description

What do you guys do to help your guests read the property description for comprehension?  

I have two unique campground listings and repeatedly get feedback and reviews that it was not as described.  I am looking for ways to help people learn to read the descriptions carefully because despite my best efforts to reiterate certain FYIs in the listing, I keep getting reviews that say it was not as described.  

One camper went so far as to say my description didn't disclose the "campground had other campers right next door" when in reality it showed 3 times in pictures (with a description) and was mentioned at least 3 times in the property description.  They even texted me to say they did not read the description, but later complained to Airbnb that my listing was inaccurate.  Mindblowing. 

Another guest interpreted my "pets allowed" to mean that it was pet safe, despite repeated descriptions that state we have coyotes and that is a very dark and scary place for small pets especially.  There are just no words.  I give a full refund and they still write bad reviews. 

And is it acceptable to prime guests for a 5 star review?  For example, "Let us know if we can do anything to make your stay better.  We only like 5 star reviews!"

Make new friends, Bohemian Hideaway is right next door with a roll up door!Make new friends, Bohemian Hideaway is right next door with a roll up door!

3 Replies 3
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Janna40 you can use the "amenities limitations" section under "house rules" to specify things guests must acknowledge before booking.  Re. prompting guests, I would say it's fine to ask for a review, and to tactfully educate guests about Airbnb's review system, but I would not go with "we only like 5-star reviews."  Maybe check in with them on their first morning asking if there is anything you can do for them, and mention the review at check-out.

@Janna40    I try to make it as simple as possible and use bullet points ★  and short, simple, sentences (not foolproof but it does help).  I also reiterate important things in the message I send  to guests, again in bullet points, after they have booked even though they are already in my description in words and images.  And I write please read the desciption, amenities and rules so you know what to expect and please ask any questions.

Look at how your listing is displayed on the web and try to put important things in the section that appears at the top of your listing. The layout of the site makes it hard to find some things, for example the cancellation policy and rules are split from the top section by reviews and if you do not keep scrolling (and there is nothing to alert you as to why you should keep scrolling) you miss them.   Recently,  guests have had a tough time finding all the amenities on my listing, site glitch or lack of attention - not sure.

Janna40
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Thank you!  These are all great points!