cancellations

AandN0
Level 1
Selangor, Malaysia

cancellations

Hi, My guest wanted to cancel the reservation for today until 4 May, the reason why is because they came last night but my room pipe water is leaking, so I temporary arrange them to stay at my another apartment which cause them unsatisfy about the room, I promised them will arrange them back to the room the booked under airbnb today as I get somebody to fix the pipe for me already. So they insist to cancel the following nights is because they afraid they encouter the same problem as first night apartment which got no toilet roll/water heater (but these all are not an issue in my apartment). Now they have left my apartment and they insist me to refund money to them, but I couldn't cancel from my side due to if I cancel, i would have to lost the title of superhost and also the following nights will not be open to the public. I unwilling to cancel because my room is perfectly condition, just they said they preferred hotel apartment instead (but in my Airbnb there's no mentioned about hotel type apartment).

May I know how should I solve this problem?

3 Replies 3
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@AandN0 call Aurbnb and they will cancel for you without loosing your superhost status and explain why. But this is a thing you should have done immediately when you noticed the problem and not relocating the unsuspecting guests. They have every right to ask for a refund. They booked one place and got another and without toilet paper and hot water which are basics. 

Thanks Ana, the problem is solved and they cancelled with paying a night stay. That's for sure is our fault and we've looked through the pipe issue.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unfortunately I feel Airbnb will support this guest. The leaking pipe would cause an issue for many guests . Also constant moving is not ideal  - I would personally  wish to cancel in such circumstances.

We can all  face the nightmare of maintainence emergencies and you seemed to genuinely want to resolve, offer another apartment etc. All reflects well on you. But we must put ourselves in the guests shoes also. 

If possible take this as huge learning curve. Maybe keep the number of a few tradespeople on your phone who could fix an issue immediately.

I would speak with Airbnb direct. Discuss and they will likely cancel reservation with no penalties to you and refund the guest . You should not cancel via the auto system as all kinds of problems will commence. Good luck.