dishonest hosts who advertise wifi that is unusable

Julian1134
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

dishonest hosts who advertise wifi that is unusable

i need wifi for my job. i need wifi to stream content. I NEED WIFI!.

whenever i stay in airbnb places that advertise wifi, the wifi is unusable. airbnb's response? "move to another place". 

hosts are contractually obliged (according to what airbnb have told me) to ensure that if they advertise wifi then it must work uninterrupted. i just stayed in a place that had the worst wifi i've ever encountered. it was unusable. the last place i stayed in was also advertising wifi which again was unusable. 

i've already told airbnb to get hosts to run a speed test on their wifi, screenshot the result and then post the screenshot on their listing. this allows guests to make an informed decision as to whether the wifi is going to be suitable for their needs. the last host i complained about said, "this is a holiday house and you shouldn't be working". yes really. 

it's like arriving at a listing to discover the bed has no mattress. 

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

97 Replies 97
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Julian1134 Have you ever considered asking what the wifi speed is before you book? To call hosts dishonest is frankly ridiculous - Its really not the fault of the host if the internet infrastructure outside of cities is often poor. Ours only achieved 1mbps until full fibre arrived at Christmas.

Julian1134
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 

interesting - my first ever contribution to this 'community' and my first response is to be told i'm being ridiculous. thanks mike and jane.....for displaying your ignorance so spectacularly.

anyway, in response to your first ** question (have i ever considered asking.....?) yes....obviously....and the overwhelming response from hosts is something along the lines of,  "yes - it's fine....never had any complaints". that isn't a reasonable answer. 'fine' doesn't tell you what speed it is. speed is measured in terms of mbps.....not 'fine-ness'.

as for, "its (sic) not the fault etc....."  you're absolutely correct....but it IS the fault of the host if the host lies about the wifi being "fine/great etc" when it clearly isn't. if a host makes claims that aren't substantiated with clear evidence (screenshot of their wifi speed) then yes, they are being dishonest (and it is you who is being ridiculous).....but then you fit precisely the demographic that i was referring to (people who grew up with b&w tv and no internet.....as did I).

i am a landlord who rents out property. i provide clear evidence for the speed of the wifi i provide.....because i believe in being honest and i want tenants to have confidence in their landlord. 

my experience of airbnb is that they don't care about the validity of host claims and despite being offered a simple solution (screenshot wifi speed) they've done nothing. 

what speed is your wifi? and have you screenshot and posted on your listing? no you haven't. so you're part of the problem. go do it. be a responsible host and let your guests know what to expect.

if you don't know how to run a speed test or screenshot the result.....then send me a message and i will give you instructions. and maybe in future, try engaging rather than abusing; after all, the whole purpose of my post is to create a better experience for everyone. 

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Julian1134 It appears that you need to ask a focussed question.

If you ask 'what is the speed of the internet connection in mbps' then you will either get the response you desire or, if it is a vague 'its fine' then you can look elsewhere for listings that are better at technology and grammar.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

i do ask (as i've already explained). but i wouldn't need to ask if hosts provided the answer to my question in advance. i can screenshot and post the information on my listing......and i have no fear in doing so because my wifi is at least 50mbps.

"you can look elsewhere for listings that are better at technology and grammar". 

i shouldn't need to if airbnb enforced its ruling. and your understanding of grammar is of no consequence to me......i simply used 'sic' because i have been a newspaper editor in my past.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Erm, I'm also an editor by profession but don't feel the need to call out people on their grammar when it's totally irrelevant to the discussion.

Julian1134
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 

I didn't call out anyone's grammar......I simply quoted them and used 'sic' in case anyone called me out for bad grammar. 

and "erm", I've been a newspaper sub-editor at various times in my life. so what?

Jesus.....some spectacular straw-manning going on here.

@Julian1134  "but i wouldn't need to ask if hosts provided the answer to my question in advance."

When guests have specific requirements that it is important to them to have in the listing, it behooves them to confirm such things with the host before committing to a booking. Whether it's high-speed, unlimited Wifi needed constantly for work, a fragrance-free environment, or making sure no animals have been in the listing because the guest has allergies, taking responsibility to make sure a listing will meet your needs is the mature, adult approach. 

There is no requirement that a host post the internet speed on their listing info. If you do that for your place, that's your prerogative but to suggest that all hosts are remiss for not doing this is absurd. We aren't cyber-cafes or high tech businesses, we are in the business of providing accommodation.

If you are as entitled and insulting as a guest as you are in your posts, I suggest you stick to hotels for your travels.

@Julian1134  Your first "contribution" to the community is to call the first person who offers you advice and perspective ignorant and stupid. I don't think anyone is eagerly awaiting your further contributions.

No global listing service, including Airbnb, enforces a requirement that the WiFi speed meet a specific standard in order to be offered as an amenity. If your work and entertainment needs demand a better connection than Starbucks can offer you, it's incumbent on you to verify the suitability before booking, just as @Mike-And-Jane0 advised.

It's true that as more guests are working remotely while traveling in Corona times, high speed internet is an essential to more people. A screenshot of a speed test might seem like a no-brainer to a guest, but experienced hosts recognize this as a potential trap :, if, for reasons beyond their control, a fluctuation occurs and the speed they advertised isn't matched by the guest's experience, that could be used as a pretext for squeezing the host for a free or reduced price stay.

That seems especially unfair to hosts who have advertised their properties as holiday homes rather than as workplaces. 

Susan1092
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

“if, for reasons beyond their control, a fluctuation occurs and the speed they advertised isn't matched by the guest's experience, that could be used as a pretext for squeezing the host for a free or reduced price stay.”

This ^^^^Spot on!

@Susan1092 i'm not talking about fluctuations and dishonest guests. i'm talking about dishonest hosts who say their wifi is 'great'.....(which is a subjective epithet and means nothing).

wifi speed is easily measured and verified. if it's only 2mbps then it's only right that the host lists it as such. i mean you DO WANT to know what you're paying for don't you?

@Susan1092 @Anonymous @Mike-And-Jane0 

but if it's not beyond their control and they're simply being dishonest then yes, they should be called out for it and offer some kind of refund. i rent out property and if i am not honest then the tenant has every right to be compensated. 

@Anonymous 

you're incorrect. you said, 

"No global listing service, including Airbnb, enforces a requirement that the WiFi speed meet a specific standard in order to be offered as an amenity. "

that's not true. call airbnb and ask them. i did. they said, "any host advertising wifi has to ensure that the wifi is good enough to be uninterrupted with no buffering".

you then said, "Your first "contribution" to the community is to call the first person who offers you advice and perspective ignorant and stupid."

again that is untrue. my first contribution was to raise a valid point.....and i was called 'ridiculous' for having done so.

you then added, "I don't think anyone is eagerly awaiting your further contributions." well you can think what you want.....but your thoughts are speculation and therefore of no consequence.

you then asserted,  "no global listing service....etc" really? how did you find that out? did you contact every global listing service in order to substantiate this assertion? no you didn't.....in which case you're also being dishonest (unless you can provide me with evidence to the contrary.

but let me tell you something that i do know for certain.....and that is that airbnb have a clause in their contract that stipulates that if hosts advertise wifi then the wifi has to be usable ie: no buffering or interrupted streaming). you can find this out for yourself by getting off your butt and calling them to find out if what i'm saying is true.....instead of responding with ignorance. 

fluctuations in wifi are not what i raised. i'm talking about dishonest hosts who pay for the cheapest wifi they can get in order to advertise wifi and then charge more for the listing than if they didn't have it. airbnb have at least stopped hosts from advertising bed space as rooms when in fact the bed space is just a sofa bed.

but irrespective of your dishonesty and the epistemologically flawed argument you come out with....none of this matters if the host screenshots the result of a speed test and then the guest can at least see whether the wifi meets their needs. fluctuations are irrelevant.....nobody cares about fluctuations.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

"my first contribution was to raise a valid point.....and i was called 'ridiculous' for having done so." No, no, no. You were being called ridiculous because you accused most hosts of being dishonest. You're twisting facts to suit your narrative. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Julian1134 

- @Anonymous incorrect?????

- You must be new here, lol. 🤣🤣🤣