dishonest hosts who advertise wifi that is unusable

Julian1134
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

dishonest hosts who advertise wifi that is unusable

i need wifi for my job. i need wifi to stream content. I NEED WIFI!.

whenever i stay in airbnb places that advertise wifi, the wifi is unusable. airbnb's response? "move to another place". 

hosts are contractually obliged (according to what airbnb have told me) to ensure that if they advertise wifi then it must work uninterrupted. i just stayed in a place that had the worst wifi i've ever encountered. it was unusable. the last place i stayed in was also advertising wifi which again was unusable. 

i've already told airbnb to get hosts to run a speed test on their wifi, screenshot the result and then post the screenshot on their listing. this allows guests to make an informed decision as to whether the wifi is going to be suitable for their needs. the last host i complained about said, "this is a holiday house and you shouldn't be working". yes really. 

it's like arriving at a listing to discover the bed has no mattress. 

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

97 Replies 97

@Robbie54 

The community installed fibre optic cables directly to every home who wanted it with the help of a company called B4RN.

Media friends think I talk 100mps when I tell them... 😅

Farmers were involved providing wayleave over their land with shares in any profits and a peppercorn payment for any trenches they wanted to dig, a working group was out every day digging under walls and laying cables, householders dug trenches to roadsides where their individual cable would run, teams of members installed the routers in peoples homes, then the fibres were blown, connected and configured. Two fibres per household, one for use and one as a spare. I had two installations put in at two separate locations, as we have future potential to split our home and a separate connection would then be useful. 

We tried to get BT to install a better than copper connection but they just couldn't be bothered. Now, nobody uses BT around here and they've been on a marketing binge ever since. 2 fibres run from each home all the way back to the exchange of a company called B4RN in a single orange sheathing.

https://b4rn.org.uk/

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

Amazing what can be achieved if there's a common goal. 👏

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

what a truly upsetting experience it has been starting a thread with the intention of improving the airbnb experience for all.

I have been accused of all kinds of things.....when all I did was call out a problem that I experience frequently and which could be avoided if only airbnb got off its backside and did something about it.

there are dishonest people in the world. there are dishonest people on airbnb (hosts and guests). at no point did I call any individual host by name. yet what came back was abuse directed to me personally.

there are hosts who deliberately pay the least amount possible in order to offer wifi as an amenity. I know this because I have ex-friends who do just that. their motive? profit. 

I was due to stay in a place in malaga (cancelled because of covid). the host has a photo of the wifi speed on his listing. his place check it out - 'my cozy nook', fuengirola. 

I wonder whether people would be so free and easy with their insults if they were face to face with the person they are insulting. I insulted no individual. I ascribed the 'dishonesty' label to a sub-set of a group of users whom I assume to be decent and trading responsibly and fairly.

some people have no interest in challenging the status quo. 

anyway, thanks for engaging with me. I appreciate that wifi isn't a deal for many or even most. but it is for me. your place looks nice 🙂

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Julian1134   Your extremely insulting post does not even dignify a response.  Since @Robbie54 and @Anonymous  already summed it up pretty well, I will simply add, please do us all a favor and stay at hotels from now on.

No @Ann489 since you responded...

I'd love him to stay! And I'm a middle aged grumplephump! Or whatever the alleged description was. (Seemed pretty accurate to me at the time).

Without guests complaining about stuff, no improvements get made. Hopefully Airbnb @Airbnb are listening, as unless they listen to hosts and guests about their service, they'll lose business in the same way BT did!

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/dishonest-hosts-who-advertise-wifi-that-is-unusable/m-p/131...

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0    speak for yourself.    🙄     

I, for one,  am not interested in what someone has to say who begins their post with "all hosts are dishonest".  

@Ann489 

I, for one,  am not interested in what someone has to say who begins their post with "all hosts are dishonest".  

Good! Ignore it, and pass it by then.. You also said "the post does not even dignify a response" - then launched into a scorning response !

😂

It seems new members are always fair game for some longer standing members - even if they have nothing ever to contribute apart from scorn.. I've noticed. 😉

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0   my original post was not addressed to you, nor am I interested in your opinion.  You clearly seem to have nothing better to do than troll those of us who have disagreed in some fashion with you on previous posts.   How about doing something constructive for a change?   🙄

Julian1134
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

@Ann489 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Ann....you don't seem to be interested in any opinion.....other than your own.

that's not a reliable pathway to truth and knowledge.

@Julian1134     I am certainly NOT interested in the opinions of cantankerous curmudgeons who walk around with a Limburger under their nose.   😂

Julian1134
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

@Ann489 

yes you made yourself clear. so can I ask you the question, (irrespective of what you think about me). do you think it would be beneficial if hosts screenshot the results of their rental wifi and then posted the shot on their listing? it really does take one second to do the screenshot....and then maybe two minutes to upload it to the listing. I would have chosen somewhere else had I known in advance that the wifi was poor (irrespective of being told by the host that it's 'fine'....

and in choosing somewhere else I'd have had a much nicer time and my host wouldn't have had me complaining to them about being misled.....so they would have had a nice time too. isn't that what we want? or do you want something different?

@Ann489 

and there are already people doing it. they are doing it because they have spent a little more money on their wifi. and here's the thing that you all should consider; if everyone else starts posting their wifi speed and you haven't.....then good luck renting your places with sheety wifi

@Julian1134  😂😂😂😂

@Ann489 

Hey Ann, why don't we trade insults?

Because you're not worth my time.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  If only Airbnb could also develop a search enhancement that magically sent you all of the whiny, entitled guests who would rather spew charmless diatribes about how little things in the world don't work exactly the way they want, than find workable solutions that are within their control. 

I'm sure you can relate enough to handle them perfectly well! Perhaps you might also be able to give the OP some advice on the powers of persuasion. Imagine a guy with this attitude asking someone on a date.

"All women are dishonest! If you won't go out with me, that just proves how stupid and ignorant you are. Oh, you don't think I'm an excellent lover? Well get off your butt and prove it!"