garbage

Answered!
Susan654
Level 1
Rockford, MI

garbage

Hello - I'm a new AirBnB user, I made three, 2-3 night stays in Spain.  My husband did all bookings before in US and Europe, never had any issues. So the last owner left me a poor review. She said I was not a careful guest. We stayed there one day and two nights and left garbage in the kitchen garbage bag and some food (to be tossed) small carton of milk, a couple of soda bottles in their original containers in the fridge.  There were no instructions of what to do with our trash. I believe she may have expected us to take it with us, but to where? This was our last night before returning the rental car and flying home.  Also, she said we damaged a lamp, leaning a chair against it and permantly misshapping the shade - there were a couple of Ikea lamps. I didn't witness any damage, if it happened it was unitentional.  We have never taken trash with us before but left it in the garbage can without negative reviews. We have rented our cabin before and had bags of trash, we just plan on coming right after check out and disposing. She had a damage security deposit so she could make a claim on the lamp or I could offer to pay.  Should I make any response?  She complained that the previous guest had damaged a window shade - but I didn't see any guest negative reviews.  I also feel that she has a few fake positive reviews for her listing. One from her boyfriend and one person that says that it sleeps 4 comfortably which it barely can sleep 3 comfortably. So the likelyhood of coming back there is not likely. thanks for the help to be a better guest.

1 Best Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Susan654

I have also stayed in many rentals, seen guidance from professional agencies, from private rentals, used professional agencies for my own rentals before I started out on my own. Tidy up and take out the garbage is the norm. If you did not know where to deposit the garbage, you had your entire stay to inquire with the host. Leaving the place tidy is also a nice and polite gesture towards your host.

If you feel very strongly about this review, there is the option to leave a response.  

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Susan654  If the host believes you did not follow "rules" about garbage, it might be reflected in a review which you can respond to and indicate that you would have followed rules if you had known of them.  As to damage, if she has proof that the lamp was fine when you checked in and not fine when you checked out, she first has to contact you.  If you agree that you caused the damage, a claim can be made against your security deposit.  Not all damage is intentional.  We all can make mistakes or have an accident.  If you do not accept responsibility, then it is the host's responsibility to provide support for their allegations.

Using Air BNB for accommodations is different for many in that the hosts may have expectations that you are unaware of and it is helpful if you ask the host what are the expectations.

I think it is pretty safe to assume that you do not leave any food items behind and that you dump the indoor trash into an outdoor container if you are renting an entire home.  It keeps the bugs and vermin down.  If you are in a shared space, it is different.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Susan654

Tidy up, do the dishes,take out the garbage and clear out the fridge, that is normal with any rental. It should be ready for the cleaner to start the wet cleaning.

I think there is no repairing this, maybe this is the wrong forum to ask as these comments have only the hosts POV,  we were in a apt, where the residents take their garbage outside we don't know. We did the same in Paris last year. We did do dishes and tidy up, never had an issue for 14 stays.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Susan654

I have also stayed in many rentals, seen guidance from professional agencies, from private rentals, used professional agencies for my own rentals before I started out on my own. Tidy up and take out the garbage is the norm. If you did not know where to deposit the garbage, you had your entire stay to inquire with the host. Leaving the place tidy is also a nice and polite gesture towards your host.

If you feel very strongly about this review, there is the option to leave a response.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Susan654  While this particular stay was not a pleasant one for you, you did bring it to the host forum "for the help to be a better guest."  I hope you find that @Marit-Anne0 and I have given you a POV that will provide that help.

Good luck in all your travels!!