guests not reading listing details..

Answered!
Karen965
Level 3
Dumfries, United Kingdom

guests not reading listing details..

I know there have been other similar posts, but just wondered if anyone has any other thoughts about how to be sure upcoming guests have read the listing details, house rules etc. I've just been marked down by a guest as she didn't appreciated that our property is two flights up a spiral staircase.. I mention the stairs six times in the header, description and rules.. what else can I do? Should I copy the rules etc into my welcoming email to guests?

See below for the mentions I give the stairs...

Listing name:  Period Town Flat - 2nd Floor - centrally placed

In the description 'space' :  Does not suit disabled guests as has two flights of stairs.

In the description 'guest access': 3D is at the top of the stairs, 2 flights up

Guest interaction: Someone is always at the end of a phone and we are always happy to assist in carrying luggage up and down the stairs.

Other things to note: The flat is 2 flights up a circular staircase.

Details guests must know about your home:  Must climb stairs

I'm pulling my hair out with people not reading the listing.. how hard can it be!

1 Best Answer
David192
Level 10
Norwich, United Kingdom

Perhaps put this information in the 'House Rules' part of the listing ie. the part that the guest must click 'Yes' to acknowledge that they have read it before they are allowed to book?

I hope you expressed your exasperation to the guest. You certainly have a right to be annoyed.

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60
Karen965
Level 3
Dumfries, United Kingdom

No! And I will. I had one recently who brought a pal back. Said pal left at 5am leaving apartment door wide open and door into apartment block wide open. Guest then didn’t vacate until after we had asked to get  in to clean, well after the check out time.. and then left and didn’t leave the keys! We had to change all the locks. We weren’t too impressed. 

And? That was it? You did not report it to Airbnb? You did not ask for a refund for the cost of the locks at least? You did not write a scathing feedback on the guest? Well, if you did not, this is why it keeps on happening. Because hosts, when faced with this abuse, take a meak position.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I know it is not popular for a host on this forum to stick up for guests, but I do think we get better as hosts by being guests ourselves for that segment of guests that are not intellectually challenged or entitled selfish people.  Some considerations for hosts:

1. Understand how most travelers make a decision to book (whether you think it is an effective process or not) and place important aspects of your listing in the title, pictures with captions, and/or first paragraph of the descripton.
  2. Use a short welcome message within the 48 hour no-fee cancellation window to confirm the guest's understanding of the listing limitations or issues.
  3. Try being empathetic to a traveler who is not in their usual environment;  may have made a mistake in booking with you; and/or is stressed out from the process of traveling.

One of the worst pair of guests I had to deal with were two men who did not read the listing correctly and were with me for 20 unhappy days in spite of my efforts to relocate them to a more suitable, cost neutral listing.  As a result, I did as I suggested above regarding making it clearer about the 2nd room and changed my maximum stay to 7 days!

Anyway, I am only offering an alternative perspective for using the negative guest experience as possible useful feedback. 😄

Karen965
Level 3
Dumfries, United Kingdom

It’s good advice. I had been running my apartment for a year before I stayed in another Airbnb. I did learn a lot about what information is available and visible to guests... but it wasn’t a hardship and I had a great experience. 

Brenda220
Level 3
Denver, CO

I work on being proactive also with this issue, so I have incorporated a auto msg which goes out 1st with the welcome msg including check in time, when they will receive check in instructions and basic house rules. Then one more time the day of check in. It has helped but not 100%. I find when most people book they look at the pictures, price and location. That is all they are concerned with at the moment then as the day approaches instead of revisiting our page they ask all the questions that were in the msgs sent if they ask at all. I have come to know it is a constant concern and on occasion it can come with negative reviews blaming the host for not accommodating them personally giving them exceptions all because they did not read nor understand the Airbnb concept. The exchange of person to person  & welcome into my home. Mutual respect and kindness I have come to know we are all raised and taught different and not everyone understands the concept. It becomes what they expect without understanding.

Not all are this way....I have truly met extraordinary beings!

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

My system isn't perfect, but at least lets me know if guests haven't read the listing.

ADD A PASSPHRASE TO YOUR HOUSE RULES. My house rules end with "please mention you're a "good reader" for a treat on arrival". Good readers get a bottle of wine and assumption they're functioning adults. Guests that don't mention it get additional prodding, though I still accept the reservation.

At booking I send a confirmation that includes 3 things:

1. The dates booked
  2. Guest count
  3. A short paragraph that covers the main points of my listing and the things that might surprise them if they read nothing of the listing. Also a mention that if they find anything that's a poor fit they can cancel penalty-free for 48 hours. (this same paragraph is repeated in the house rules)

This worked a treat recently when, for the first time in 5 years, a guest cancelled on arrival, citing issues with the layout, size, and beds in my listing. I could point to where she said she'd read the rules (but obvs. didn't since she gave no passphrase) and where every issue was disclosed in the listing AND messaging. No refund for her!

I will copy and keep this in my file with good advice! Thank you.

Absolutely well done @Allison2 !

Nice! I love this and I'm so using both tips from here on out! I just lost out on a weekend booking because even though I was right I have a flexible refund policy. This guest just ruined that for everyone else. Thanks for the tips!

Natalija1
Level 2
Earley, GB

You folks made me laugh 🙂

Yes, I do agree with most of it already written and commented but having had numerous situation similar to "stairs" but in regards to our dog I do get direct (not rude ) and ALWAYS COMMENT to guests how it is my experience as host that majority (indeed!!) guests do not read property listing in details and how they should use this situation as a learning experience to do that next time. All of my guests are happy with quality of their stay at the end and they grow to love our dog so happy end! I do still sometimes get slightly frustrated...just slightly. The only thing guest read properly is what they are mostly interested in...PRICE, LOCATION etc. (depends on them really).

Janene10
Level 2
Mudgee, Australia

I don't have stairs but my place is in country NSW Australia and there is dirt road access and a steep ascent hill climb. I have mentioned it numerous times in my listing details but I mentioned it again in my thanks for booking with me response email when they send me that initial message after booking. I just say something like " I just like to clarify with guests they have seen the photos of the dirt road and steep ascent when deciding which vehicle to bring?". I say that in amongst the message so it comes across as a casual but necessary check-in with them rather than some drama.

Valerie780
Level 3
Dingmans Ferry, PA

WOW!! I was going to start this off by posing a question do guest read the entire listing? From these post and responses I realized that the answer is a resounding no. I have listed my Airbnb space to the best of my ability according to the specifications on Airbnb and still I get people messaging me saying it's confusing. what's confusing about the statement "this is an owner-occupied Airbnb", or "unit this is located on the second level of my residence", or " the second floor host quarters may or may not be occupied during your stay"! How many ways can I say that I live here and I operate an Airbnb on the first floor of my home. It's private, no shared living spaces, and it has its own entrance so Airbnb listed as an entire home. I'm really getting frustrated with guest calling me dishonest and misleading! 

@Valerie780  I have to say I would find "This is an owner-occupied Airbnb" to be confusing language. That makes it sound like it's a home-share where you live in the same home that the guests do- that they would only have a private room. As is saying that the unit is located on the second floor of your residence (which unit? the guests' or yours?) and then what appears to be a conflicting statement that "the second floor host quarters may or may not be occupied during your stay". 

I know that guests often don't bother to read, but if I were a guest looking at your listing, I would also be confused as to where you actually live. I would state it-  "On-site host. The rental unit is the first floor of the residence and completely separate from my unit on the second floor. I may or may not be in residence during your stay."

Maybe try editing it a bit and see if that helps?

Sarah I guess everyone is open to their own  interpretation. I think it's quite clear and 99% of my guest think its clear. Since this comment I've messaged everyone of my upcoming guests and ALL of them understood my booking for what it says, that I live on the property.

@Valerie780  Okay. But you stated that you were really getting frustrated with guests calling you dishonest and misleading.

Hosts are constantly tweaking their listing descriptions when they realize that something may not be clear to all guests. Of course we like the guests who thoroughly read and don't find things confusing, but even if a few guests say they found it confusing, its pretty harmless to think of another way to state whatever it is that those guests are finding unclear. Better than being frustrated and having guests accuse you of being misleading.