host wants personal information through email

Stephanie28
Level 1
Clermont, FL

host wants personal information through email

Hello! I have an airbnb reserved in one city and am looking for another in another city. I found one we really like, but I am concerned it may be a little fishy. Host wants me to email my personal information to him/her directly and not through the website. Is this common practice? Host suggested payment be through the website...

New to this, so just want some input. Thx

22 Replies 22
Marla2
Level 2
Louisville, KY

My husband are new to Airbrb. We will be hosting 10 people at the same reservation. The guest informed it was family coming to a celebration near by. My question is- Should I ask name and informations of all the guests? I plan to ask full names . What else should I ask for?

Thank you

M

David1485
Level 1
Barrington, IL

This is my first time.  Host has asked "Please send me your email address and phone number, and you'll receive an email from my associate that incldues your reservation details, ..."

Is this normal procedure?

@David1485

No !!  It is probably an attempted scam. Stay clear.

@David1485 Never, ever go off Airbnb's website to communicate with a host prior to a confirmed reservation.  If you communicate and / or pay by any means outside of Airbnb's website, you are on your own and Airbnb would be able to help you. 

This is true even if someone sends you an "invoice" with payment procedures (usually to pay by bank transfer) that looks like an Airbnb document.  It's not. 

See this link to safely book on Airbnb: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/209/why-should-i-pay-and-communicate-through-airbnb-directly

Hope this helps!

Dan306
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi I"m in Colombia wanting to go to carnival.  I though I had a booking in an appartment but get this message which is unusal in my experience as a host and as a guest.  It is possible I suppose that the information is a city requirement.  Can anyone offer advice?  

Cheers
Dan

Hello Mr.(s) **
Thank you for contacting us 
According to your reservation on Apartment ** we are glad to inform you that the booking was confirmed. Please fill in the next form to continue the billing process and service order: 
-Full Name: 
-Id Number: 
-E-mail: 
-Phone Number: 
-City of residence:

Best Regards, 
Travel Advisor 
PBX : [Personal information hidden]
Celular: [Phone number hidden]
Mail: [Email address hidden]

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Dan306

It sounds very, very suspicious.  If you have a confirmed booking through airbnb, there is no billing process.  All payments are through airbnb - one of the big reasons for using airbnb in the first place - there is a secure payment process handled by airbnb. 

Is there a link to the listing ? Possibly a scam listing that should be reported to airbnb.

Dan306
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Marit Anne,

I think it is OK - I talked to a local host in Colombia, and they said this is normal if the AirBNB is run through a company - it sort of mimics the check in rigromol when checking into a hotel over here.  A lot of superfluous information needed.   

Kind regards

Dan

Melanie279
Level 2
Andalusia, Spain

Looking to book a month rental with a host. He wants me to send my current address, photo ID and telephone number to him and he would then put the apartment on airbnb once he has my details. It is a brand new apartment which is yet to be advertised. He first advertised it on milanunicios and then 24 hours later it was gone. I contacted him via email and he confirmed he wanted to do the rental via airbnb so it's secure for both parties which I understand.  He said he has not advertised the apartment yet as someone else could book it and I have expressed an interest first via another site I saw the apartment on which is no longer on that website.  He also said 2 months deposit and 1 month rent, but looking on the site rentals of 28 days pay a deposit of one month rental which is taken 24 hours after completion date. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you