key exchange?

Sarah2
Level 1
New York, NY

key exchange?

Hi Airbnb-ers,

I'm new to the community, and I am hoping to rent my NYC bedroom while I'm travelling for the holidays. I am leaving on the 14th of December, but most of my inquiries are for later dates, so I wouldn't be here to check people in. What's a safe and professional way to provide my guests with keys prior to their arrival?

Thanks!

17 Replies 17
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

We use an electronic keypad lock. We just set the guest code to the last 4 digits of their phone number. If for some reason, you can't change your lock, you will need to use a lock-box, or find a neighbor or someone to help with this. There are also services that can provide this (for a fee of course).

You can also get a cypher lock that is Wifi enabled and you can manager the code changes from the net.

DmitryandNatalia0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Or you can use service like BuzzMeHome. It let's you program your apartment buzzer to automatically open the front door without your involvement if your guest enters a correct password. I use it for both of my Airbnb places. Works for me

Keith1
Level 10
SF, CA

You can also check out "keycafe"

AirBnB has partnered with them and in the future you'll be able to manage the keycafe system automatically for your bookings.

For now, that may be a good solution if you can't get a keyless entry system or a lockbox isn't suitable for your home.

Marc12
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi fellow hosts!

We're about to launch a startup to solve this issue in a very reliable and cost-effective way - using nearby convenience stores to host keys. We're giving away 30 days free to all hosts who complete our survey before launch - it takes just 5 minutes!
http://goo.gl/forms/ySLEiqJ3rb

Many thanks!
Marc

Michelle0
Level 6
New York, NY

Hi there! I work with Cityami, an NYC based concierge service that handles this for those in the NYC area (and SF soon to come!). Our basic service includes check-in/out, guest concierge, and  24/7 emergency care. If you have multiple guests, we also offer cleaning and linen rental through our partner. Prices range from $39 - $139, depending on the length of stay. Check us out! [link removed]

You should also feel free to check out our blog: [link removed]

Fede0
Level 1
Mexico City, Mexico

I would recommend these guys:

HostTonight.com

Marc12
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb Key Exchange in London - now available from KeyNest

If you live in London, KeyNest is a network of cafés and shops with long opening hours where you can drop your keys for free. Your guests can pick up the keys at their leisure and will be warmly welcomed by the staff. The keys are tagged so they can be tracked online and stored in a safe behind the counter.

The best feature about KeyNest is that it’s extremely simple to use. Just create an account, send your guest the 6-digit collection code, and drop off the key at any time.

KeyNest will even notify you when your keys are collected, so you can relax knowing your guests have safely checked-in.

Guests, no matter whether they are early or late, can pick up keys at their convenience.

Jason109
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Sarah,

If you still need assistance with getting your keys to your guests in NYC, I would like to let you know about Keycafe. 

Keycafe is a key exchange service operated through local businesses throughout New York City.  With over 100 locations between Manhattan and Brooklyn I would hope we have a location near your property.  You can check out if we are nearby on our locations map.   Keycafe has been serving Airbnb hosts since 2013  and is connected to Airbnb through the host assist program so you can automate access to your guest access by connecting the Keycafe app with the Airbnb listing.  When you accept a booking your guest will automatically receive permission to access your keys for their stay.    You will receive a text message when your guests, and cleaners pickup and drop off the keys so you can easily manage your property while you are at work or away on holiday!

Thanks!

Jason

Co-founder Keycafe

Avoid KeyCafe like the plague. They promise a simple service but it's a nightmare. They demand a year's payment in advance but when you discover the service stinks -- even a week or two later -- they only offer HALF back. My cleaning lady spent an hour trying to get my keys. Nobody told me regular guests have to "register" to pick up the keys MORE THAN ONCE. That's right -- if you add someone as a regular guest, with permanent access to your keys, and they don't register with KeyCafe, they will not be given your keys. Hopefully you're near your phone when it happens or somebody is getting seriously messed up.

Hi Robert,

I am very sorry for your negative experience.  Yes, after 2 guest pickups our system detects that the customer is a regular user.  In order to ensure that your keys remain secure, we request that they make a secure 4 digit PIN as an added level of security. This is one time only step for service providers such as cleaners to ensure ongoing security.  Once your cleaner is setup with a 4 digit pin on their account, they will be able to use the service seamlessly for all time.    

We have worked hard over the past 4 years to continually improve upon the service and we have made mistakes along the way.  Our intention is to save you time by providing you with a stress free experience and not to make you wait for an hour. An issue like yours well help us to learn and improve the service.   I will investigate your case to see how we could have done better for you.  

By the way, Jason, your customer service is horrible. I spent half an hour with Hazel and she did utterly nothing for me. I added one of my email addresses to the account so my cleaning lady could get the key that way, and Hazel told me if I didn't register THAT email then it would also only work once. Oddly, I never got the registration link Hazel claimed to send -- even though I told her to email it a dozen times in hopes at least one would go through. Never did. So what's your solution? I should give the cleaning lady a different phone number of email address every time she visits?

Like I said, a nightmare, and these people are ill equipped to help. I -- and the cleaning lady who waited at a coffee shop for over an hour -- wish I'd never heard of KeyCafe.

Hi Robert,

I have full confidence in our customer support team, they are very knowledgeable and strive to improve all the time. Hazel is a long time staff member and very competent.  I will reach out and speak to her to find out what happened in your case.    The long term solution for your cleaner is to have them setup a secure 4 digit PIN on their account and they will not experience this issue in the future.     Once again, my apologies for your inconvenience, that is never our intent. 

Alex284
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Hey Sarah,

You can use key exchange services like City Co Pilot, Keycafe or simply buy a KeyGuard Lock Box for $30 bucks on Amazon.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex Viloria Jr
Airbnb Montreal CoHost
alexanderviloriajunior@gmail.com