keys

Answered!
Elo2
Level 3
Buenos Aires, Argentina

keys

Hi everyone,

my latest guests (two)  demand another set of keys. I have always given only one set, for security reasons (Buenos Aires is a pretty dangerous city...) How should I handle this?

Thanks,

Eloise

1 Best Answer

thank you. I chose your first option, but... I modified my house rules on my listing for future guests.

question: how do you handle the key issue: how many sets do you give out?

best

Eloisa

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Well, it sounds like you have two options - which you choose is up to you.

(1)  Let them know your policy is to only give out one set of keys.

(2) Give them an extra set of keys.

thank you. I chose your first option, but... I modified my house rules on my listing for future guests.

question: how do you handle the key issue: how many sets do you give out?

best

Eloisa

I only have one set of keys for my guests and it hasn't been a problem so far. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Elo2  I have another set of keys in case the guests have different schedules.  Most couples only want a single set, but sometimes it is necessary for each person to have their own key.  I am not sure how the dangernous of the city is related to the number of keys you give.  Are you concerned about the guests giving out a key?  Would you feel safer if you could install a keyless entry with a combination lock?

Elo2
Level 3
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hello Linda and thanks for replying.

My place is an apartment in a building of ten floors with other thirty apartments. The problem lies in the entrance door to the building, which has a special key which may be reproduced only with the administrator's permission and  a special matrix. The reason for this is discouraging owners to give out their keys to friends or workers or whoever does not belong to the building. The reason behind these measures, in turn, is the dangerousness of the city and its ever increasing crime rate. In other words, the less people have the entrance key, the better. 

I have now added a clause to the house rules specifying that only one set of keys will be given to each group.

Thanks again,

Eloisa

Judith125
Level 3
Port Angeles, WA

I do will not give my house key to any stranger. I'm new at this (obviously), so I stated in my listing that I do not feel comfortable giving any guests keys, so I will do my best to work around their schedules to be there when they arrive, initially, and whenever they're returning during their stay. I can't afford to install some fancy security system that changes code numbers constantly (and who wants more passwords to remember, especially to your own house?). So how do others who feel as I do handle this dilemma?

Grown adults are not going to want to have to let you know every time they want to come and go.  And, unless you plan on being hoe 24 hours a day, there are going to be times that you will not be available to let them in.  For me, this would be completely unacceptable and, if not clearly disclosed in the listing, would get elicit a very bad review.

@Judith125wrote:

I do will not give my house key to any stranger. I'm new at this (obviously), so I stated in my listing that I do not feel comfortable giving any guests keys, so I will do my best to work around their schedules to be there when they arrive, initially, and whenever they're returning during their stay. I can't afford to install some fancy security system that changes code numbers constantly (and who wants more passwords to remember, especially to your own house?). So how do others who feel as I do handle this dilemma?

I ended up giving keys -- predictably. This reply is more than 2 years after my comment about being uncomfortable about it. I still am a bit, but I live in the house and do not want a digital keypad on the door.

If you are not comfortable trusting your guests with keys, then this is probably not the right business for you. I definitely would not rent a place where I do not have the key (If I am on holiday, I want to be free of walking the citiy, without having to plan at what time I come and go)

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

I agree, and only provide one set of keys and so far have not had a problem. 

1. Extra keys means more to loose. 

As for not giving them a key: that a silly idea. I would urge you to rethink your stance. You need to trust your guests, if not get to know them beforehand, that's what message center is all about. If i paid for a night at your place but had to notify you every time I come and go.... Let's say I'd feel like a trapped kid. Bad idea. @Elo2 

@Elo2 are smart locks available to you?

Smart locks are very useful tools for Airbnb hosts: no keys to lose, no fear of a guest copying keys, no having to either give out keys or wait for them to be returned.

The best ones even program themselves automatically from your Airbnb reservations.

If a smart lock is an option for you, we can say they make a host's life much easier.

David6487
Level 2
Richmond, VA

My standard response to anything outside of what I am prepared to allow, or is beyond my comfort level, is to politely says "I'm sorry, my policy is... ". 

Now as for keys I changed the lock to a smart lock and guests are given a 4 to 10 digit code to type in. I have many guests come with 2 cars when my posting clearly states 1 car per bedroom. Simply being polity and concise in your reply is all you need to do. 

Osama12
Level 2
Alexandria Governorate, Egypt

Hello,

One of my guests told me that he had lost the keys to the apartment. I have another set of keys, so I took him to a technician for making new keys. He paid some money to the technician for the new keys. He was polite and understanding. 

Have a nice day!