next door contruction works and request of a partial refund from guest

Roberta351
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

next door contruction works and request of a partial refund from guest

Hi, 

The apartment next door to mine has been just sold and they decided to start construction works. I live in London and my apartment is in Italy, and I was NOT notified in advance about the works starting. Also my local co-host did not specifiy anything too dramatic (in terms of noise and disturbance) in the previous weeks, and no guests had complained so far. 

However, a guest was very annoyed by the noise, especially in the morning, and he told me the first day that he was in the apartment. I immediately contacted both my co-host and the "amministratore" (manager) of the house, trying to ask the neighbours if they could keep the noise down especially in the early hours of the day (works never started, from what I heard, before 8-8.30 am).  

After the first complaints I have not heard from the guests (I wrote them a message mid stay asking how were they but he did not answer) until the last Friday (they were staying 10 days) again complaining about the noise 

Of course I did apologise, I did talk to the manager again, but I felt there was not much more that I could do. 

They now want a refund of 20% of they stay, claiming that they should have been notified. Can they do that? 

I do understand that this was not what they were looking for (a relaxing place to spend their holidays) but  I am afraid that even in the best intentions I could have not notified them as I was NOT aware of the construction.

I tried to tell him kindly but he still stands on his opinion. 

I have not received any complaints directly related to my apartment. 

Please can you advice what I should do? 

8 Replies 8
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Roberta351

I sick to my back teeth about this type of stuff, They want to stay in Airbnb accommodation and then expect Hotel standards at rock bottom prices.

Question:

Will you get compensated by the builder for the loss of earning?

Answer:

NO you won't nor should they?

I had a building site across the road from me and not one of my guests complained, in eastern Europe, they have not yet embraced the compensation culture that’s overrunning the west.

I think if I went on holiday and the adjoining appartment was being re-modelled and no one told me, I'd be more than annoyed, I would ask AirBnB to move me straight away. They are not looking for compensation - they are lookin for a refund because they had to live with 830-5pm noise directly next door. A bit different from your situation I would suggest.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Roberta351

I think what happened here isn't anybodies foult, You did nothing wrong.

But renovating an appartement right next door is in fact disturbing. The request for a 20% refund sounds reasonable to me. I suggest You agree.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Roberta351 I agree with @Ute42, you should compensate in some way for their disturbance. I had the same situation happen to me as a guest, there was loud construction every day during the whole trip and we didn't even have running water in the apartment as a result to the construction. The host was also not aware of the construction but we didn't want to bother asking for a refund we just got up early and had extra time to explore the city. But every guest is different and knowing how uppseting it can be I thing they deserve a refund. They might work all year and this is their only free time, they should have the rest they deserve. As a host, even when there is a small noise at my house not more than 5minutes I always make sure to bring them a bottle of wine and some sweets. People always appreciate that you care.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Roberta351

It doesn't matter that you were not aware of the construction work - neither were your guests until they arrived. Put yourself in their shoes: you are going on a nice relaxing vacation and you arrive to hear the appartment on the other side of the wall being re-modelled. What would you do? I doubt very much you would just accept it. Personally I think 20% is fair (they could have asked to be moved straight away, I would, and you would have received £0). I would also contact all future guests and warn them - and think about whether or not you offer a reduction or are prepared to stomach cancellations. 

bonjour @Roberta351

I don't know the law and the common law in Italy but in France, heavy noise not mentionned in the listing before the reservation is considered as a breach of the contract.

There are 2 possibilities to manage this case :

- when the host learn about the heavy homework, he must inform the guest.

The French common low settled the guest as the right to canceled and to be fully repaid or the have a 20% decrease.

the host does not know and inform the guest that some noisy homeworks may disturb their stay.

The French common law settled that the guest should be refunded of 20% of the price for the damage.

The host may refuse but if he is sued, he'll lose in court.

Try to inform you on the Italian law and their common law. I recommend to apply the law.

Roberta351
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for all your answers. 

I must admit I'm a little bit surprised, as, if I were in their shoes, I would not request for any refund and take it simply as one of the risks of renting a house and not going to an hotel. 

Having said so, of course I understand the disappointment, but it seems quite unfair to loose money for something I have no control over. 

Anyhow, that's why I wrote here... Because I was in doubt. Thanks again for all your answers! 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Roberta351 better to loose 20% than the guests complaining to Airbnb and getting full refund. If you look through the posts here you will see that it hapens more often than you imagine.