question about the physical location of the booked house

Svetlana142
Level 2
Stockholms län, Sweden

question about the physical location of the booked house

Hi 

I have booked a house for 2 months.  I got the exact address from the host after 48 hours. It showed up that the physical location of the house is approximately 2 kilometers away from where it is originally situated on the Airbnb map. It means that we will be 2 km more away from the beach, we were not planning to rent a car, so we will have to go by foot for 20 more minutes than what I was expecting. We have a little child so it is not so practical. I haven't contact the host yet because I would like to know what is the policy. What shall I do now when I am not so satisfied with the location? I can't cancel and get all money back because 48 hours has already passed. If I cancel now, I will have to pay for 30 days.

Please help

48 Replies 48
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Svetlana142 

I think when location is critical for you, it's always wise to communicate with the host in advance of confirming your booking, particularly for a long term booking. What does it say in the listing about how far away it is from the beach and other key amenities? Does the host indicate a car is needed or are there public transport options? What have previous guests said about the location in the reviews?

I think the indication on the map should be fairly accurate but is only an indication. How do you know it is 2km away from where it was indicted on the map?

I am not sure there is a 'policy'. This is what Airbnb says

General location: We’ll show the general area of a listing to guests searching for a place to stay, but not its exact location. Guests can see your listing’s neighbourhood and how close it is to landmarks, transport stops, and other points of interest. After their reservation is confirmed, we’ll show them a host's exact location and address.

Svetlana142
Level 2
Stockholms län, Sweden

Hi 

After I have booked could I see the location on the airbnb map. Then I asked the host to send me the real address.  I can see on the Google maps that it is 2 km away.  So the real address is not even in the circle. 

Before I booked I was satisfied with the area shown by the circle. How could I expect the the house is in reality outside the circle? This is the first time I am using Airbnb and I was expecting that people are honest. 

In the description it is said 3 minutes to the beach by car, Google maps says it is 4 minutes, but by foot it is at least 10-15 more minutes.  

Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

@Svetlana142 

I absolutely understand your disappointement! For me this might be a serious issue, too. 2 km is not less!

Even if the precise location is not shown in the listing before booking, from my impression, the approximate location is regularly near to the definitive location. 

Not sure if this is a technical issue. Or if the host already manipulated the location pin when putting his acommodation online.

Did you contact AirBnb CS? Or talk to the host?

I wrote to support and waiting for the answer.  I am afraid to contact the host because she may move the location and how will I prove then that it was not there. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It doesn't matter Airbnb can see any changes that are made by the host to the listing included map location @Svetlana142  if it has been misrepresented you can ask for a refund.

If a description says three minutes by car I would expect it to be 15 minutes or so walk. Did you discuss the location with the host at all before booking?

Speak to the host and see if they will cancel if has been misrepresented. If they won't call Airbnb (don't write).

@Svetlana142 

The host doesn't have the functionality to change the physical location of the property on the map. We have to go through Airbnb customer service to get them to alter it from their side. 

Sorry @Susan17 , I wouldn't have answered if I'd seen your answer.

No worries @Denis-Mark0 ! Great minds think alike.. 😉

Svetlana142
Level 2
Stockholms län, Sweden

thanks for explaining 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It may not be correct for you, @Helen3 but it's certainly correct for me! Otherwise I would never have wasted countless hours of my life on tortuous phone calls to Airbnb CX, getting them to do something I have the functionality to do myself! (And trust me, I've asked them numerous times if there's any way I can re-set the location from my side, rather than having to put myself through the agony of phoning them up every time my house relocates to a different neighbourhood. Answer has always been, that it has to be done by Airbnb)

I can change the address all day long - just not move the pin on the map. 

@Helen3 

From the link you posted...

"You can edit your listing’s address or map location only if you've never accepted a booking. If you've had guests stay at your listing, or if you have a current reservation, you'll need to contact us."

Which is also odd, because I can actually change the address on my listing. Or at least, I used to be able to, as I've had to amend it several times after the system kept turning it back to front.. ie street name first, then house name! You gotta love Airbnb's technical prowess, eh? 😉

You can not change the location of the listing. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 8.26.06 AM.png

Oh actually, I think I do recall a brief moment in time, maybe 2 or 3 years ago, when one clever host discovered some sort of roundabout way to move the pin on the map, and posted it on one of the groups (In my mind, I thought it might have been here in the CC, but maybe not)

The workaround didn't last long though, so was obviously just another glitch.