restraining order

Robin-and-Mami0
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

restraining order

Just another  heads up to my hosting friends and collegues

Airbnb just gave one Australia guest a full 100% refund based on a document synonymous with a US restraining order against their travel mate companion because the travel companion had done what's described in the restraining order between the time they booked the reservation and check in date.   I'm set up on the strict cancel policy. Airbnb resolution center only gave me a vague "reason" why they decided on the 100% refund by sending me a link with quite a few conditions on it:  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

Airbnb resolution has not indicated which condition in the policy document they applied to make their decision.  How would this be educational ?  It is not. How does this help me as a host make better decisions on refunds? It does not.  How does this improve Airbnb's brand-reputation ? It does not.  The guest hears me refuse their request then hears airbnb honor it.  The guest goes away thinking woah -- that was scary -- for a while there I might not have gotten a full refund.  I think I'll book on some other platform in the future.  If Airbnb explained why they take their decisions - we as hosts would act on the same page and guests would feel safer booking on the airbnb platform.   

There is no condition on that policy matching the condition described in the attached restraining order.  The closest topic is about violence but that still does not match with what's described in the restraining order. 

I know, Airbnb decisions are immutable.  Still I consider this another clearly unfairly adjudicated resolution costing me thousands of USD, airbnb failing to make this a teachable moment and a guest perhaps less inclined to book with airbnb going forward. 

I don' 

*sensitive infomation hidden in-line with the Community Guidelines - Community Center Guidelines)

10 Replies 10

@Robin-and-Mami0 you need to remove those photos immediately or black out the personal identifying information & details of the AVO.

You shouldn't be showing peoples names & addresses and details of a Family Violence notice just to make a point about cancellation policies!!!!!!!!

Thank you.  I'm in process of working with Airbnb to  remove it now.  Intended to post blurred out copy contact info; names & addresses etc.  

Thank you.

A message from Airbnb customer service has been sent to community center operations to help me remove the subject post.  The time limit for me to edit it has past.

@Robin-and-Mami0    You can also report your own post as inappropriate with reason why, that usually gets an instant reponse. Or  @  ing to one of the Airbnb admins  @Lizzie & @Quincy,

Thank you.

I reported it myself in accordance with Airbnb suggestion.  They say that's the fastest way to get the images removed.  Thank you.

Anthony at Airbnb has escalated the removal request.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Robin-and-Mami0 guests can take legal action against you, remove these pictures, this is a public forum where everyone can see them. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Robin-and-Mami0  et al,

I've gone ahead and removed the images including the personal information. Many thanks for flagging!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Robin-and-Mami0 @Stephanie @Ange2 @Ana1136 @Rachel177 

Restraining Orders / AVO's/ Domestic Violence Orders and such like are Confidential Documents.

How many of you know that a person can apply for one on behalf of another to protect someone from 3rd party associates to stop Harassment?

How many of you know that there is a clause of reasonable excuse of breaching one to ensure Law and Order?

Lots of ''grey areas" in all legislation.

Keep safe folks as there's unsavory characters out there that you simply don't want in your life but Legislation available to protect one self if need be as ABB hosts/ Guests to as we are generally not in Close Personal Relationships with those who come into our homes.