Guests should have star ratings on their public profile just like Hosts have to

Guests should have star ratings on their public profile just like Hosts have to

Currently only a Hosts profile page will show how many average stars that person receives.

And even tho we give star ratings to guests regarding communication and cleanliness, it does not show on their profile page.

So then whats the point?

A phone rep told me "yea the star ratings for guests dont mean anything. you can skip that part".

I recommend guests have public star ratings too.

Response from Airbnb

Reviews are central to Airbnb, and we appreciate the desire to have reviews provide value to both hosts and guests. We are not planning to create a publicly visible Star Rating on the guest profile at this time. Later this year we are planning to look into improving profiles. The ways reviews are represented on profiles will be considered as part of this project. But at this time we are not able to commit to making changes to how Star Ratings are displayed on guest profiles.

Reviews from previous hosts can be leveraged best depending on how you host. If you are hosting with Instant Book, you can use a host control setting to ensure you only receive bookings from guests that have positive reviews. If you are not using Instant Book, then you can read the reviews left by hosts directly on the guest’s profile page.

Follow up from Airbnb - May 26th, 2017

We plan to look into this idea starting in July or August 2017. Thanks for your patience as we balance this with other improvements we’re making to Airbnb.

47 Comments
Cathy65
Level 10

I think it's important to be frank about a really bad guest. I am very lenient and tolerable of foibles; most people are fine. But I did honestly react to a couple of guests who were truly unpleasant, including the young undergrad couple who left both their room and the kitchen a pigsty

Pia-And-Ben0
Level 4

I had also not so nice experience with a young couple.   They had Airplane (Delta) delay and arrived a day later.  We had 2 day open availability after they should have checked out so they asked and we allowed them to stay thier 3 day booking.  I reminded them about parking restictions and reminded to leave our quest parking pass when they live.  They lost it and gave us few different stories what happened after I kep asking were the pass is.  Off course they did not live a review to us (we were very good host for them).  I emailed Air bnb and told them that its very important that other host know what happened.  Also in their previous feedback they had issues w/ their  rental car parking rules. We where beyond flexible with their check out.  I have  not heard anything back from Airbnb.  It would be important other hosts to know the risk if car rental / parking pass is involved and if there are other options.

Now we need to wait until next year to get another street quest parking pass from our city and I don't have this nice perk to my future guests 😞    yes, its always a risk --

Nancy67
Level 10

Some of this might be solved by Airbnb sending an annoying text or email the night before a guest checkout -- I mean, it's all automated, right?? Kind of  like the one they send me to remind a guest is arriving  (with that note about tidying up etc before they arrive...)

Your checkout is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 11 am please remember to tidy up before you leave and return keys, parking passes or items offered by your guest to enhance your stay.

Thanks,

Airbnb

Johnny22
Level 2

there are too many guests about who make spurious complaints threatening bad reviews on AirBnB/Tripadvisor etc looking to get money off. A bad review on AirBnB should be answered by the host ON HIS PAGE; CURRENTLY A RESPONSE APPEARS ONLY IN THE GUEST'S PROFILE. After reading a bad review, who is going to bother looking up the guest's profile to read the response? COME ON AIRBNB, SUPPORT YOUR HOSTS OR LOSE US.

Mary-Ann0
Level 10

I agree everyone’s mood could be improved without the constant annoying Airbnb prompts.

With my most current Airbnb guest I actually wrote (in words) "five star guest" at the top of her review because I was so happy and relieved to actually get a wonderfully pleasant, clean and happy guest that took the time to read my details and my rules and did not have an attitude about them.  You see I have only had a total of 3 Airbnb guests so far but have actually been hosting for years so I know a little bit about how guests are.

With the current star system that Airbnb has in place – I’m thinking that I might keep doing that from now on too.  Because I am feeling that if potential guests read my reviews and decide not to stay at my place because I give accurate reviews - then I don't want them at my place and they can stay somewhere else.  The grief of putting up with not-so-great guest behavior after doing the hard work and spending a bundle on extras, then having the chance of getting a second-rate 4 star review is just not worth it to me – I really don’t need the stress of it all.

And btw (in defense of Airbnb) we are still better off than if we listed with vrbo (home away) because they don't have a review system for guests that I know of so I would not use that company because I need to know a little about the people who want to stay at my place. 

Sue127
Level 1

Totally agree with this, especially Jude's suggestion. If no one sees what hosts put in guest reviews what is the point? For me what would be great would be the ability to only pre approve guests with 5 star ratings.

Nancy67
Level 10

Agreed:

I just accepted a request from a guest this morning who didn't message, and I had to go to her profile to see if she had reviews and then read them to see if I should consider it-- 

"If the guest stars dont really matter, you can skip that part..." really is true, then what's the point? With all the incredibly weird changes that are being made to the site, it seems like some young tech genius would just pop that part out-- but in the meantime, I may just start being more honest, if they can't see them and they are not posted anywhere-- at the least it will cause fewer resentments I feel in the middle of the night about lying, just so I dont have to be the one who may cause them to not be considered elsewhere.

Teachers, I suppose do the same thing-- just rate them satisfactory to move them along so they are not their problem anymore-- it boils down to an injustice for everyone, passing the bad apples down the road.

It seems a bit unfair that some miserable sort, who will never be happy with anything or anyone can burn down my investment/business to other guests with a "glance" star rating, but we are left to go searching in multipal places for information about a guest when we get a request, then are put on the ticking clock to make a decsion. No pressure there. My crystal ball always seems to be out for cleaning when the mysterious and vague ones roll in.

Emily96
Level 3

Yes - please incentivize guests to be BETTER guests!

Ryan27
Level 5

I'm finding the guest rating system to not have much value.  We just hosted a guest who had 6 great reviews so we booked him and had nothing but endless problems from booking to after he left for multiple reasons!  His reviews didn't 'match' him at all!  IF a guest gets a bad review, it's very easy to just create a new account, another problem.  Hosts can't do that easily at all.  We are held to a much higher standard than guests and I'd like to see the review process improved somehow where hosts given accurate reviews for guests and guest accounts shouldn't be so easy to create such that after a bad review, they simply create a new account.

I agree with much of what everyone wrote above!  I have the exact same problems as you all and regardless of what I do to prevent it, it still exists and I've brought this to Airbnb's attention for many months now and it has gotten worse with no feedback from Airbnb.

Mary-Ann0
Level 10

Yes, @Ryan27 that very same thing happened to me where I let a guest and her extra guest book for an entire month at my home because of her attractive sounding profile description and 3 good reviews.  As it turned out she didn't like doing anything her profile description said and had seething anger and rage issues hidden underneath an "easy going" calm outer-layer appearance.  It is funny now that I think of it, two out of three of her rewiews said she was easy-going.

She did give me a fairly good review but I gave a more accurate review, stating she "is a guest better suited at a hotel" and then got a scathing mean-spirited and combative public response.  It was hurtful to me but I am still glad I gave the accurate review because I believe this guest is like a time bomb ready to explode and I do not wish this experience on any other host.

I even "reported" her profile to Airbnb but it has not changed - they did not take me seriously about any of the things I mentioned to them about this guest.

So now I have a hard time really trusting reviews now even if there are three of them.