2 questions about IB

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

2 questions about IB

1.) I would really like to know if IB is now the default search setting. I have read conflicting info on this. Seems to me that when I look at various cities/places, IB is NOT the default setting, but it is offered as a filter. However, lots of hosts have stated that their inquiries and booking are way off, so is mine, and if IB were the default search engine that would easily explain the drop off. 

2.) If I were to try out IB, just to see if it really gets me more inquiries/bookings,  can I easily change it back, or will I be locked in? Anybody tried it or has experience with changing it back to non instant booking? 

Thank you, Annette

13 Replies 13
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Annette33,

1.  Instant Book is not automatically checked off as a filter when searching BUT I believe lately if a guest is searching for a reservation that would start with short notice, IB filter is automatically turned on.

2.  If you are not one of the unlucky ones to have IB forced on you, you can simply toggle this on and off and you are not locked in.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

I've done a few searches lately and each time IB was the default setting for me.

@Annette33  @Dave-and-Deb0

Like @Elena87, IB filter is on by default when I do a search from France.  Rolled out gradually I suppose.  

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Annette33 I've noticed 2 different things - usually of late, the Instant Book filter is automatically set & must be clicked off to see any listings without IB. But today I did a search and got a pop-up that said "Want to book instantly? Click here to see all the IB listings". Feeling the nudge toward IB getting stronger everyday. 😞

Karen

Seems my previous answer was based on yesterday's news.  When I do a search this morning, logged on from a French IP address, the IB is no longer on by default. The IB button to click is still there.  

When I do a search in incognito mode, I get the new layout where our listing descriptions do not show.  Being forewarned, I have added text onto the index photo to stand out.  And guess what, the IB sign does not show even though I have IB on, and when I turn the IB filter on in search, my listing does not come among the chosen few.  For that to happen I would have to lower my verification settings to "airbnb recommended".

Hi Marit

I was wonderimg if you could explain the verifcation setting to 'airbnb recommended'to me?  I seem to have very little search and booking activity of late and believe it has to do with IB.  I have now turned it on (much to my horror) but I am still quote low on the rankings in my area (where I was once number 1).  What are the verification settings? Do they affect rankings?

@Sally44

Your booking settings - these must be turned off/unticked:

Additional requirements    INSTANT BOOK ONLY

Government-issued ID
Recommendation from other hosts
When I removed these I got a nice little e-mail from airbnb saying "congratulations, you now have instant book on."
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We never used IB and then saw it was the auto setting on search, so decided to give it a try for the past month. Our experience: the 4 bookings we have had did not use it as the guests wanted to have an email exchange with us first. Second: the has been no uplift in views of our property. So our view is it probably works better for entire properties but where someone is sharing your home the read reviews, look at star ratings and also email you. 

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

thanks for all your answers and suggestions, much appreciated. Seems to me that Airbnb is constantly changing their platform in minor (and major..) ways, could also be different from one country to the next, thus gradual roll out makes a lot of sense. My experience is that it isn't automatically set to IB yet in the US search engine, but highly suggested. I still won't do it...at least not now.

I reluctantly caved and turned IB on yesterday @Annette33, and found I had to set my guard low (not clicking the gov't ID and host recommendation options) in order to be seen by anyone new to the site. (I spend some time checking. I am in Canada, if that makes a difference, and it sounds like it does.) Most of my bookings are by first-timers, so it was all or nothing. I am sitting in dark dread, but so far so good. I really like the pre-booking message IB gives hosts. I know that it is prominent, because I just booked an IB listing as a guest. The limit on character count is great - keeps it short and to the point, but enough room to be both firm and friendly. No downsides to that pre-booking message. All good. 

Like you, I was also afraid that once IB was on I could never turn it off, but a trial yesterday showed that wasn't so. For yesterday, anyway... 

I will try to remember to update here if anything unexpected happens, because I understand where you are coming from on this. 

Best of luck. 

Thank you @Lawrene0 , great details! I appreciate it,

Annette

@Annette33  @Lawrene0

I try to check every morning and it seems every morning is different when it comes to search results.  The last two days the IB filter has not been on by default - it changes from one day to another.  Let's see what tomorrow brings and do your own investigations by doing searches for your own area when logged in and in incognito mode.

so, @Lawrene0 , I reluctantly followed in your footsteps yesterday and turned on IB, after I was satisfied that I could turn it off. I almost did, actually, and the steps going through turning it off again are almost comical: every step along the way Airbnb asks you , "are you sure you want to turn it of, you will lose all these advantages, blablabla....." so I didn't turn it off!
Within 24 hours I got two bookings - after 6 weeks of getting hardly anything! Sure makes you wonder: quite a few of us attributed that to Airbnb somehow "penalizing" non IB hosts by lower placement, etc. But i am starting to wonder, as I always did find my listing prominently displayed when I checked on it, either logged in, or incognito, and I had enough views.
So what about the disposition of new guests? I have observed that most of them are brand new, have nothing in their profile, and are not much interested in communicating back and forth and becoming "friends", it all is more and more like a business transaction, the less hassle the better.So that fits right in with.