Advice Please!

Cassie59
Level 2
Lincoln, NE

Advice Please!

I received the below request for booking from a local University group.  My gut tells me not to accept the request, does anyone have any advice?  Thanks in advance!

"I am a member of Cinema 16, a student-run film organisation at UNL, and we are looking for locations to shoot our student-run feature-length film. We are looking for a home where we can film, with our intimate crew, for a day or two in mid-January, and were wondering if we could film in your home. Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!"

9 Replies 9
TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Cassie59 Hmm could be sketchy, could be perfectly polite but definitely not enough details are provided. I would just respond and ask the guest to elaborate on the nature of the film, if they are going to reorganize your house in any way for this production, how many people will be on the property, perhaps a letter from their organization's director, etc and if you're extra concerned, if they are comfortable with you collecting their ID information upon check in time. They should have no problem with it because it's not uncommon to need a permit or extensive information provided when trying to shoot somewhere. If you don't mind the extra vigilance and they happily comply, then I think there's no problem.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Cassie59 @Huma is a really good resource on this... I'm tagging her so she'll see it.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Cassie59

Nononononono

I am stressed out just thinking about this.  They might be great kids but this is what I see:

-An unknown number of people in your place all day everyday

-loads of kids and their friends parked our front (and unhappy neighbors)

-camera equipment (or is everything on iphones? I'm so old...)

-moving furniture, taking bedding off, and generally using and doing things that typical overnight guests don't do

-bringing in snacks, ordering pizzas, bring props

Save me the stress and don't book them!  😉

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Cassie59

Intimate crew? Last time I watched through the end credits of a movie it went on for ten minutes.

Best boy, foley, assistant to the assistant of the producer..etc etc.

I think there are quite high rates placed usually to hire a place for filming for various reasons.

Just looked online and average hire is 500-1000 upto 20000 dollars a day.

There are more costs and wear and tear for film use, so the hire cost should be much more than your regular daily rate.

Of course it is being attached to a University, but still, like the above it's best to drill down on the details - how many cast and crew, what equipment, who pays for the utilites for powering up the high energy lights, catering, parking..lot to consider regarding the viability of the offer.

Francisca16
Level 5
New York, NY

What does he mean by the "intimate crew" I hope it is not an adult film in disguise. Lol

Bahahahaha @Francisca16, that’s exactly what crossed my mind... because why do they need bedrooms? Intimate indeed....... too cosy for my cynically loose mind!

@Cassie59:

Whose insurance? Theirs or yours if someone is injured? Are they planning to stay overnight? 

Lets now celebrate our great movie ....

Nope.... no way. There are public facilities or their own homes for this!

Teresa638
Level 1
Remich, Luxembourg

Simply follow tour guts. Good advice also on other posts. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Cassie59

This is an easy one. Just follow the standard. 

Studios charge a lot of money. Why?

Because they know things that you don't.

They know how much wear and tear comes from shooting a movie. They have lawyers to price every detail. They have insurance...

You are a humble innkeeper. Stick to what you know.

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Hello @Cassie59.  I did check whether Cinema 16 is a true student organization at UNL.  They do have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/UNLcinema16/) and are recognized by the university's Johnny Carson School of Theater & Film (https://arts.unl.edu/theatre-and-film/student-organizations/cinema-16).

I would get more information about the project from the student who contacted you including the purpose of the filming, number of actors & crew members involved, and how they plan to utilize your home.  Additionally, you can check to see if they have a budget, insurance, and a faculty sponsor.  

I suspect that they are working on an entry for one of their film festivals.  It is probably harmless, but ultimately, you have to decide whether it is worth the time and effort to get involved.  If you do end up supporting this student effort, make sure that you have spelled out all rules and any special considerations.  Don't go into this expecting to make a lot of money, but rather, to support students honing their craft.

Good luck!  Let us know what you decide.