AirBnB and Weekly Seasonal Rentals

Ken-and-Kathleen0
Level 2
Pittsfield, MA

AirBnB and Weekly Seasonal Rentals

We have a home in a very busy seasonal rental area that requires hard-to-get ferry reservations and has used AirBnB for the past few years. Some of the recent changes and the Super Host rules are proving to be a problem however for ourselves and other hosts. It is to the point where many of the hosts on our Island are going to have to switch to other services because AirBnB doesn't fit the weekly vacation model anymore. There needs to be a designation with some changes to the way search and expectations set work for the weekly vacation rental host. 

1. The search function prompts people to search by dates. The problem with this is that while most people are looking for Saturday to Saturday rentals, they're willing to do Friday to Friday or Sunday to Sunday. A host has to pick one at the beginning of the season or face losing a week of rental because different guests choose different starts to their week. However, when the host select that they will not show up in a search. AirBnB badly needs a function that shows guests searching other available properties that might just require them to change their arrival/departure by a day.
We picked Friday to Friday to service folks that don't know about the ferry and get stuck. Unfortunately, we got few searches and had to just open it up to all days and then put a note in our description saying we do Friday to Friday. That led to people requesting Saturday to Saturday (they don't read the description) and us having to turn them down (lowering our acceptance rate).

2. We have a 10-week rental season. To make SuperHost all ten tenants (if we're lucky and fill up) have to give us reviews. To make Super Host. However, because we don't rent during the off-season (little demand). All the work to hit Super Host is lost as we lose the tag by the following season. There should be a seasonal Super Host award.

3. The new basic requirements for hosts that includes linens and sheets are very problematic and very expensive. The standard for weekly rentals where we own is that tenants either bring their own or rent them. We have about four hours to turn over the house from one tenant to the next and that is not enough time (nor will a standard washer/dryer) handle the load of a full set of sheets for four beds, beach towels, bath towels, kitchen towels, etc. We had no choice, but to actually buy ten sets of everything this season (cost was in the thousands), and then we had to pay $500 for laundering half the supply. Just fitting that much laundry in a mini-van is a problem. 

We also ran into issues with things like toilet paper. It's a weekly rental people are expected to supply their food, and accessories. We don't have the capability of a hotel to have someone come around and check to make sure that there is enough shampoo, toothpaste, and toilet paper every day. We would leave three rolls (big Costco rolls) of toilet paper per bathroom and started having people complain three days in they were out (I think they ate it). AirBnB has made this seem like the host's duty now. It costs us a minimum of $50 to have someone go by the house to give a guest extra toilet paper.  

4. Information - We had a tenant show up very early on turnover day and walk in on the tenant from the week before. We use a coded front door. When we included the code information in the AirBnB entry information, we thought it would be sent at, or slightly before, check-in time. We learned that it is sent months before when they confirm and pay. Our solution was to remove the code information and text it to them when the house is ready - but AirBnB shouldn't send entry information out that early.

5.  Cleaning Fee - This is capped at $250. On Martha's Vineyard that does not cover the weekly cost of turnover service, let along doing the laundry. We average paying over $350 to have people come in and get the house ready and make any repairs necessary.  This shouldn't be capped as it is an actual/verifiable expense.

6. Guest Reviews - We stay away from negative guest reviews. However, I think it would be helpful if hosts could put a note that only other prospective hosts would see about a potential guest. 

7. Check Offs - There should be a way to include other important amenities like an EV charger, Linens, Air Conditioning for places where those aren't always the norm. They get lost in the description. There should be an amenities search filter

8. The cancellation policy choices are all very tough on a weekly seasonal rental host. Generally, our schedule is filled months in advance. To allow a guest to be able to cancel with no penalty within two weeks (strict) is very tough on the host. Because of the ferry and other factors, it is almost impossible to get someone new for that period. 

Some of these are minor, but overall it is quite obvious that AirBnB wasn't meant for the weekly vacation host and by changing requirements is making it more and more difficult to hit their standards.

4 Replies 4
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

All true. Presumably you're booking on other channels as well?

We are, but that adds extra complexity in the terms with guests, calendars, and communication methods. Our goal is to move to one system - hopefully AirBnB will consider some changes to meet the needs of the weekly vacation rental host.

@Ken-and-Kathleen0 I would not hold my breath if I were you. We list our vacation rentals on VRBO and Booking.com as well (also TripAdivisor and Innclusive, but so far they haven't delivered); it's true that setting up the listings takes some time, but calendars can be sync'ed automatically once they are set up. If I were going to list them on only one channel it would be VRBO.

I agree - VRBO is the other service we've had success with. It's also lacking in spots though. I'm not holding my breath for any changes, but if you don't ask - you don't get kissed.