Airbnb and Handy

Greg-and-Travis0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb and Handy

I noticed that Airbnb and Handy are ending their "partnership" as of Dec 14, 2015. We have just had two terrible experiences booking Handy vacation rental cleaning -- one with our cleaner cancelling 1 hour before her scheduled time and haveing extreme difficulty confirming anyone was booked for our cleaning today. After about 10 emails to Handy support, someone was finally assigned but had I not checked in this booking may have also been cancelled. 

We have used Handy in the past a good dozen times with general success when we are out of town and not able to turn over the unit -- but these recent service issues with Handy throw into question their reliability. It appears there is a definite shift in their service level for Airbnb cleanings.  

Anyone else notice issues with them recently and any suggestions for other services in the LA area? 

Thanks, 

Greg

6 Replies 6
Tiffany4
Level 2
New York, NY

I am glad they ended their partnership. I had countless issues with Handy and their customer service was atrocious.  They definitely were not a matched brand for AirBnB quality standard.

I think they service is definitely improving. I've been using them for the past year and rarely had any issues.  

plus the price is unbeatable if you pick the vacation cleaning option. 

Kelly87
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Handy is fine unless their is a problem. But then, what isnt?

After multiple times where the cleaner did not show, and Handy was unable to provide another cleaner, I gave up on Handy. This happened three times, leaving me (each time) in a very bad position. 

What I would suggest is that if you have a cleaner from Handy who does a good job and you like, just offer to hire them directly. 

The idea of Handy is very good, but the execution is poor, imho.

@Kelly87  I totally agree- I had the exact situation with Handy - three bookings (one under husband's profile, two under my profile) and in each case the cleaning was cancelled that morning.   The first time caught me off guard and left me stuck, the second and third time I at least had a back-up plan in place.   Still totally annoying, and they got the kiss goodbye.

Natalia71
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I got a last minute cancellation AGAIN. This is absolutely the worst service I've ever experienced. I had two last minute housecleaning cancellations as well as a handyman cancellation, that were all needed so that our #Airbnb business could function. #Handy then continued to charge me for their cancellation for the house cleaner and handyman (and charge me fees on top of it ), then "credit" me for their last minuet cancellations so that I would be forced to use their horrible services again, instead of reimbursing me. After numerous email exchanges requesting to be reimbursed they still did not and only gave me "credit".

They did not compensate me for the cancellations as I feel they should have given me credit towards a house cleaning considering all of the damages that were done and my Airbnb business suffered as a result. I have since then discontinued using this horrible service. I have yet to see if all of my money will be fully reimbursed. This service does not care about the customer. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!! I am going to have my attorney look at this case. If anyone else has had issues with Handy, please let me know we can look into filing a class-action lawsuit for all of their negligence and mismanagement.
Jessie38
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Wanted to update this thread with my own recent experience...

While I was out of town, I'd booked a cleaner through Handy to clean my place in the time between one set of guests checking out and the next set checking in.  Ten minutes **AFTER** the appointment was supposed to start, the cleaner cancels and I get a refund without any real explanation.  Customer service then brushes off the incident by responding with:

"Please accept our apology for having to cancel your booking. From time to time, pros have last-minute schedule changes that come up."

Fortunately, I had a friend over at the place to do some additional tidying up/organizing, and he was nice enough to take on all of the cleaning while he was there.  

Seems like these last-minute cancellations happen way more often than they should, and I'm a bit amazed that Handy can continue to operate with such shoddy customer service and zero reliability/accountability.