Allow Hosts To Require Guests Be Rated A Certain Level To Book

Martin280
Level 10
New York, NY

Allow Hosts To Require Guests Be Rated A Certain Level To Book

I just got an instant booking from someone who had a host recommendation but a very bad cleanliness rating and an sub 3 star overall rating. They started asking questions that immediately flagged me that they'd likely be a problem. I'd like to have the ability to set my minimum star rating for guests to book/see my listing so I don't get a guest who was great once, got a good review, and then problematic a lot of the other times.

4 Replies 4
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Martin280I'm not sure if you've made it a requirement that guests are only able to instantly book if they have been recommended by other hosts? The "fine print" on that reads that they are recommended and "have no negative reviews". Your guess is as good as mine as to what that actually means, but I'd like to think that it would mean that the guest's reviews have been at least 4 stars in each category...
If you do already have that requirement checked in your booking settings, then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas...and it would seem that the above-mentioned "fine print" does not mean what I think it means.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Martin280, I don't think setting limits is going to really help--if this is even possible.  If you're uncomfortable with the prospective guest, you can always get creative and wiggle out, right?

I can give you one (haha, let's not start counting!) where a glitch in the Airbnb system didn't let me rate one of my best-ever guests, and I didn't realize it until another little glitch in their flawless system got me checking... I was horrified!  Truly, I felt awful.  Called HQ and though the agent completely emphathized with my frustration, could do absolutely nothing about it.  What HQ told me was to contact the guests (through the proper channels), explain to the guests what happened, and tell them (I was their first stay, so this doesn't look good) that any other host could contact me for a referral.  Big hassle for everyone, but I did it and my guests were grateful. 

I understand the value of ratings, so I'm not discounting this totally, but the system doesn't always work...and we know that some guests can be jerks...and if you've been on this forum long enough, you know that some hosts can be a bit off as well.  Could have been that a host asked the guest to strip the bed, change the linens and re-make the bed...or do all the dishes before leaving.    What is important to some, and what seems insulting is a big sliding scale--in both directions.

Take a deep breath and re-read your correspondences.  If you still feel uncomfortable, bail.

Best,

Kim
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Let this also be an example to hosts that they should NOT recommend a guest that truly deserves a low score. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As hosts,  if you would not welcome the guest again, give thumbs down review.  I have done that and also explained that the review was based on a bad fit with my listing.  I give enough detail to help another host determine if the guest would be a better fit for their listing.  The thumbs down should not allow an Instant Book, but the guest can still request a reservation.