Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

I am a United States (super) host and have been listing on Airbnb for about 9 months now. During this time I have noticed a large property management firm start to 'take over' many of the Airbnb listings in my neighborhood - To the point where I am one of only a handful of traditional (non-property managed) Airbnb hosts left, out of nearly 100 listings. These are the same listings I see on other booking sites; there is no home-sharing going on; no on-site host; no personal touches to acknowledge someone's birthday or an anniversary, etc - Just the same kind of anonymous listing you can find anywhere else these days, and there is nothing 'Airbnb'-like about it. 

This same large property management firm offers these listings at ridiculously low prices when they first come onto the market, e.g., in one case an ocean-front house that sleeps 12 was put on the market for $79.00. If I did not excel at marketing my place and catering to a 'custom clientele' (my strategy from the beginning - I have the advantage of being a former VP of Marketing), I would have no doubt been driven out of business nearly immediately - And I am guessing that other hosts may have indeed been driven out of business, or forced to list with this property management firm if they wanted their vacation rental business to survive. True 'home-sharers' may have had to close shop altogether, being unable to compete with such ludicrous prices.

It seems to me that Airbnb appears to be making itself over into a Booking.com or a VRBO or Expedia-type site as it prepares to go public in the not-so-far future. I began to wonder if us traditional hosts are seen as a liability by Airbnb these days as they move toward an IPO: Perhaps because we do things like speak up about flawed or failed policies; want to control our prices and not give in to these constant, nagging reminders to lower our rates to ridiculous levels; and have final say over who / what comes into our homes (whether human guests or animals). 

So, I'm curious, are other hosts noticing property management firms taking over the listings in their area? If so, how is this impacting / affecting you and your listing's success? And if you host in the traditional sense (home-sharing / sharing your primary residential property), do you feel valued as a host, and as a 'partner', by Airbnb? By the way, here's an article on the 16 Steps Airbnb has taken to entice Property Management firms with Vacation Rental listings to list with them. Notice that Property Managers are reportedly paid 30 - 60 days BEFORE the guest checks in. Must be nice! This is just one of the many policy adjustments Airbnb has reportedly made to appease Property Managers and get them to list. Seems like Airbnb is setting up Property Managers to succeed. Are they doing the same for us hosts?  https://www.vrmb.com/airbnb-16-steps/

203 Replies 203

Hi @Rebecca181  This news story may interest you because the writer prefers the traditional hosting...!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pillows-airbnb-tell-know-company-183007131.html

New story release!

Thanks for sharing this, @Syl11 (and, I get lots of compliments on my pillows; mattresses and linens, too). 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Rene-and-Zac0 Oh boy, can I say I knew you when??? 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Rene-and-Zac0 @Christopher187 @Mary-And-Kelly0 @Tom-and-Carina0 @Fred13 (that is all the tags Airbnb allowed...):

Looks like this post of mine was prescient: See my response to Lizzie on this thread regarding new 'edits' we are required to make on our Airbnb listing: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Brian-Chesky-Making-Big-Announcement-February-22-on-Face...

What do the levels mean, I'm new at this. ?

@JaniceandBob0  They don't mean anything really- they're just an indication of how often you post here. If you post a couple times a day, you would see your level go up to 10 pretty fast. It has nothing to do with being an experienced or inexperienced host or being knowledgable about all things Airbnb.

I've been on the side of a guest at both types of stays, and also done both DIY hosting and used a PM company for my own listings. 

I think the "humble host" angle is still very much a part of what sells listings here. Sometimes it's cool to have that, although the same hosts are less reliable. Both have value for me depending on location and trip purpose.

My experience as a host has been that Airbnb is discouraging PM companies.

@Vandalay0 - Actually, Airbnb has been pursuing property managers heavily for the past two years, at least. They have their own web area, and 16 policy revisions were made to entice them to come on board, including the ability to be paid 30 - 60 days in advance of a check-in. What I don't know is how that all panned out for them. This 'Group Payment' thing is upsetting many property managers - Some have posted here to say that it is absolutely unworkable and they want this option removed immediately as their listings are being tied up for as much as 4 days!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

So, in the past 30 days alone, in my very small coastal town, in my even smaller beach vacation rental neighborhood, TWENTY TWO additional commercially (property managed) Vacation Rentals were listed on Airbnb. This makes me and a handful of other traditional hosts some of the only non-property managed listings left in my area. It will be interesting to see how we do over time.

@Rebecca181 It seems that this situation is getting worst and worst everywhere around the world! Here Airbnb is actually allowing some hotels to list their rooms which is totally unfair towards the casual owner.Such listings do not even have a profile picture of a human.Here palm trees and sandy beaches are now also involved in hosting too.

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 @Syl11 I wrote this post many months ago, but it was prescient, wasn't it? 

@Rebecca181 It was and it is still very prescient! It is always a pleasure for me to read your posts.

Thank you, @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, my little break from the CC was admittedly pleasant and refreshing, but I did miss conversing with top-notch hosts like you.

@Rebecca181 It's always good to take a break.I bet you did 🙂

Yes, @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, my way of taking a break is to open yet another business - I'm crazy like that!