Avoiding Bad Review by Guests

Lee336
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Avoiding Bad Review by Guests

My current guests complained about the cleanliness of my rental unit. I was responsive to their concerns, but it took two days to get the place into shape. They are now asking for a refund for the nights they stayed in "unclean conditions." I am willing to do this to protect my high Airbnb ratings, but don't want to get a bad review after refunding part of the money. It doesn't seem right to straigh out ask for a favorable review. Thoughts?

4 Replies 4
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lee336

Lee I am sorry you have been caught short by this guest. Some of them can have incredibly high perceptions and expectations of cleanliness. You do seem to have admitted that there was a failing on your part when these guests arrived, and I do think you are doing the right thing by agreeing to refund the guest. 

However you are probably going to have to do a bit of grovelling here to try and avoid a bad review. Say to the guest."I am terribly sorry that I was not better prepared for you, it is not typical when you look at my other reviews, and this is a cross, a wake-up call I will have to bare. I hope that my actions to fix this will go some way towards righting the ship, and softening your disappointment".....they will at least think you are a nice guy and may be lenient in the review.

Bad luck Lee, mate, we all get caught out sooner or later.....I did, a guest came up to me and told me to sack my cleaner! His wife found a used childs nappy under the bed.....I felt like bloody 'Basil Fawlty'!

I did soothe them to the point where I still ended up with a 5 star.

All the best Lee.

Cheers.....Rob

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

was the place in fact dirty or were they just being crazy picky and using a white glove on the tops of picture frames? 

I stayed in a place and the bathroom had not been cleaned AT ALL.  Soap scum and hair in the shower, pee pee on the toilet seat, toothpaste and hair in the sink.  All I got when I said something was "oh sorry, forgot to do the bathroom"  I left and demanded a full refund but I did not leave any review...although I could have and probably should have.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lee336 asking for a good review in exchange for a refund is against Airbnb TOS and could get you booted from the platform. I agree with @Robin4 that grovelling is now in order, as well as profuse thanks for their great flexibility and patience, etc., etc.. It would have been better for you to proactively offer a refund, but now that they have asked, agree, and maybe add a little sweetener.  If there's a chance they'll be back in the area, offer them a free return night. If they have any interest in that they will not want to burn bridges with a negative review. Good luck!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lisa723

That's a great comment Lisa, I wish I had thought of that one!! Offer a gratis night, as you say guest won't cane you if they want to come again!

You're a good little lateral thinker there Lisa!

Cheers.....Rob