Book repeat guests

Donald-and-Frank0
Level 2
New Mexico, United States

Book repeat guests

Trying to find out Airbnb's policy on repeat guests. Once someone has stayed at our place, is it alright to let them book directly without using Airbnb? We have our own website that we use for marketing our guest house.

Thanks for any info. I can't find rules and regs for either Air or VRBO. You'd think they would list then all in one place for easy reference.

5 Replies 5
Tyson11
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Surely Airbnb and Vrbo would prefer that you have everyone book through their platform, and there are some advantages wrt liability, accounting, and taxes being paid for you... but it's understood that once you have contact information there's nothing any platform can do to stop you from courting past guests directly.

I'm sure they would prefer to get all the bookings but I'm not really seeing the value in their fees--VRBO being the worst offender. The initial vetting is probably the most important but even that is by-the-seat-of-your-pants since you can't always see guests' reviews before you book. Air does not collect or pay taxes so there's no advantage there even though their fees are lower. I'm expecting to find some agreement with superfine print that I didn't even know I agreed to. That's why I'm asking other hosts.

Thank you, Tyson for your input.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If you happened to leave a business card laying around that included your website address, who knows what the guest might do (for future bookings). That said, I've got a guy on his 15th booking who always does it via Airbnb (for expense purposes), @Donald-and-Frank0.

Donald-and-Frank0
Level 2
New Mexico, United States

Thanks Gordon. Not sure why your fellow thinks he needs to book via the platforms for expenses. Anyone can make up a receipt.
I do more than just happen to leave business cards, brochures and house manuals around that have all the contact information including phone, email and website. My question now is if I can mention a discount for repeat guests.

I don't want a rude surprise that says I didn't read the fine print somewhere that says all repeat bookings are subject to fees. Realtors usually have an exclusive for a certain period after contract ends.

Thanks again for your input.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donald-and-Frank0  I've exchanged personal email addresses (and of course we get their phone numbers when they book) with most of my guests during their stay. I've told all the great guests that if they ever want to come again, they can just get in touch with me privately. Haven't had repeats yet, as none have vacationed here again. Airbnb doesn't own you, your guests, or your home.