Cancelling Months in Advance

Dave256
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Cancelling Months in Advance

If I am a super host and have automatic acceptance for a date like 1-2 months in advance. If i cancel because the person has no reviews or only one verfication, will I still lose my superhost status and/or get penalized?

Thanks,

Dave

7 Replies 7
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes. 

Frances34
Level 4
Broadstairs, United Kingdom

I had a guest book month ahead and within hours was reminded that I had written on my space that mt accomodation was not suitable for her child. She willingly pulled out and I cancelled the booking. I am on 'instant booking' .Airbnb have since marked me down and yesterday took away my Superhost rating , you can read on my page Sunnybay Broadstairs Uk.

I have excellant reviews and good ratings but Airbnb continue to punish me , most unfair and upsetting .

They say they will review it in July but I cannot alter what happened , so BE very wary of cancelling .

Sincerely Frances

Joanna188
Level 2
Hopeman, United Kingdom

Hello Frances - we had a similar situation and had to cancel a booking made in early summer 2017 for New Years Eve 2018. Yes, we should have marked it off but it was so well in advance that it caught us by suprise, we have always had excellent reviews and we still haven’t got our super host status back. Does anyone know how long it can take? We feel really ‘naughty’ and feel our punishment should be lifted!

Disappointed,

Jo 

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dave256 - you should not cancel. You need to contact Airbnb via twitter, and ask THEM to cancel the booking.

Otherwise, yes, you will be penalized.

Make sure you state, in your conversation, that youa re asking them to do it as you would not like to loose your superhost status.

@Frances34 - you should have let the guest cancel, they asked you to cancel, and you accepted the cancelation - this is a different process.

@Joanna188 - if you cancel, you loose the status for 1 year. You can change your settings to only accept booking for the next 6 months / 9 months / 12 months. You can change that in your settings.

Joanna188
Level 2
Hopeman, United Kingdom

Thank you Roberta - is it a year from when we cancelled or from when the booking should have taken place? It still seems pretty mean! 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The Airbnb cancellation policy has one inherent flaw in it: It doesn't allow for even an honest mistake, not even one that falls within the spirit of the policy which is there to discourage hosts from cancelling on guests. The host rule of thumb should be to ~never~ cancel (unless there is no other way), and ~never~ depend that a cancellation could be 'straighten out' later based on reason or common sense. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Don't accept IBs and that's that (if it suits you), you won't need to accept guests you're uncomfortable with.