Check out instructions?

Answered!

Check out instructions?

I'm curious how other hosts handle check-out. We host a 3 bedroom house so we tend to get big groups. Even if they only stay 1-2 nights, there is a lot to do to clean for the next guest. So I started posting a "Before you leave" list.  

I ask that they wash all the dishes, strip the sheets off the beds, take out the trash. I also add a few helpful hints like check under the beds, log off all accounts on the smart TV, let me know how their stay could be better, etc. I'm not asking them to clean or vacuum.

Is this too much or not enough? Should I let guests know my expectations when they arrive or right before they leave? Should I post it on the listing where I'm sure it won't be read but just in case someone says, "but I didn't know!" How do other hosts handle this?

1 Best Answer
Josh1667
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

Airbnb now has a help article on how to check out of an airbnb for guests (https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3501), including details on things like finding specific checkout instructions and requesting a late checkout. This could be useful if guests ask you how to find checkout instructions for your listing on different platforms. 

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Bryan-and-Corey0 I send check-out instructions the night before their check-out day.

This is such a good idea!

Do you list the checkout instructions in the app? Or do you just send them in a message via messaging through the app about the check out instructions the day beforehand checkout? Or both?

You can create an automated message in Airbnb with instructions on the day before checkout. I've found this communicates to the guest necessary items at the right time.

However, I'm not a big fan of giving guests a list of chores before they leave, especially if I'm charging a fair cleaning fee. The better strategy for me is to charge a bit more for cleaning and hire a good, reliable cleaner.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Bryan-and-Corey0

our check out instructions are very simple: close all windows and AC, lock the door and leave the key on the spot x. We have self check out instructions printed in the apartment.

We do not expect them to throw the garbage, strip the bed,  wash the dishes or anything else but, almost all our guests wash the dishes anyway.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Bryan-and-Corey0

You sell yoursellf as a hotel alternative so I would expect to do exactly what I would do when leaving a Hotel.

David

Hotels have proeffosnal cleaning staff. 

With Airbnb you are staying in someones home. 

Also, things that are in hotels are desinged to take abuse, unlike peoples personal prossessions.

Alsoways remeber you are in someones home

Well, they get the hospitality at one fourth the price of a hotel, so definitely there is a trade off in terms of cleaning up more than you would when you leave a hotel!

This is a self catering way of vacations. We should have more respect for the host and next guests. Otherwise, if you do not want or agree to what have been said, you defenetly should go to an hotel.

Hotels don't have large groups staying in one room or all the kitchen/linen amenities that many homes do. and if they do the room is astronomically priced. To do all dishes and laundry (including pool towels) the hotel feel would be thousands nightly for the 15 people we allow....

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with @David126 and @Branka-and-Silvia0.  I charge a cleaning fee.  I find guests want to be viewed as good guests and end up semi making the bed, but that is of no help to me, so I encourage them to just take care of themselves and enjoy the rest of their trip.  However, I have been a guest at an entire house and think the instructions have to take into account making sure the house is secure.  I am currently vacationing in Hawaii and the check out instructions have to include trash detail because of the heat of the summer so I don't mind taking out the trash.

@Linda108

I hope you and your daughter are having wonderful time!

Best Wishes.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Bryan-and-Corey0

Mine is a guesthouse listing. They see checkout instructions in rental contract, Welcome Book & I send a reminder msg as well. 

They are to:

-take out trash (the bin is by the front door -- I just don't want to know what was in the bin!)

-load dishes in dw

-Return anything they moved back to its location 

-leave towels on hooks

-leave linens on beds

-check for left behind items

-turnoff lights & AC

-lock door

-message me that they are out. 

I like your instructions.  Very simple and easy for them to follow.