Chicago Shared Housing Unit Registration

Dan92
Level 1
Aurora, IL

Chicago Shared Housing Unit Registration

Hi Chicagoans-

Is there a way to confirm that we are in process of being registared as "Shared Housing Units" according to the new ordinace?  Is there anything that we must do as hosts to ensure that we become properly registared as required by the City of Chicago?

My understanding is as follows:

1. Airbnb is responsible for furnishing a list to the City of applicants

2. Enforcement of the penalites will become effective on November 28, 2016

3. Sucessfully registared "Shared Housing Units" will recieve a corresponding registartion ID number

Thanks, 

Dan

15 Replies 15
Sean84
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Dan, any ideas where the city and airbnb is with this? 

https://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/bacp/ordinances/housesharesummaryfinal.pdf

per this pdf, we don't have to register as a bed and breakfast, which is key since that requires at least RT-4 zoning. but, i've googled all over and haven't found any online registration process through the city clerk's website, which the initial press release mentioned.

Same here - been looking all over. Joe Moore of the 49th ward sponsored the bill. I think he was going to publish a compliance guide but not sure. I asked his office again today about it.

Did you ever get a copy of the guide.  I recently created a listing for my church but then delisted as we cannot afford to pay fines if something is not in compliance.  

Emmett1
Level 1
Holland, MI

I am also looking for this - the airbnb help guide mentions registering through their website but I can't find it anywhere.  Anyone else have an update?

I'm also curious about this - just listed a room but definitely want to comply with new laws. Are any registrations going through? 

Martha51
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Has anyone received the Chicago registration and/or confirmation yet? AirBnb says they're emailing us, but its nearly the end of March 2017 and I havent' received any info yet. Note also: when I visited the City of Chicago's page(s) it says there's a registration fee of $250.00 - but AirBnb says if we register thru them, there's no fee. It also mentions fines for not being properly registered, which seem to amount to about $3,000.00 - Martha in Wicker Park

I still haven't received any additional information from Airbnb... 

Erica65
Level 2
Wilton, CT

This was just posted a few days ago - apparently they are only beginning to enforce the rules now

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170315/wrigleyville/airbnb-regulations-crackdown-keep-chicago-liva...

In the FAQs, AirBnB says they will email hosts with information on how to register. As of this morning, I still haven't gotten this email and do not see anywhere on the AirBnB site where I can register. Has anyone received this email? 

If you're logged in on the desktop site: go to Your Listings > Calendar and More> then on the left hand menu, there's a item called "City Registration". Then you enter a few details about the property and hit submit.

Anna570
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Thank you all for your comments. I am also very concern about registration for Chicago hosts. I just listed my apartment and I wonder if I made a right move. Now I see that it is imposible to contact airbnb directly. There is no phone to call and no one to answer my questions, nor email  provided so I can send my questions. I am very concern. I am accepting people to stay at my apartment but I am worried if what I am doing is legal. I wish someone soon get back to me and clarify this whole situation....

I just read this article provided in cooments by others. THANK YOU! It helped me a lot! But I still don't know how to register with the city throug AIRBNB website:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170113/loop/airbnb-home-share-banned-michele-smith-shared-housing-...

I received an email.  

It says we have until 4/21 to register our spaces.  If we do not register, our listing will be deleted.  If we do register, but are not accepted, we can appeal.  

Have others received this email?