Cleaning Fee Vs. Cleaning Deposit Guests Can Get Back??

Rikki6
Level 1
Estacada, OR

Cleaning Fee Vs. Cleaning Deposit Guests Can Get Back??

OK. So I have a serious question.

I just started hosting in June and I have farmhouse studio (with kitchen) that is out in the country in Oregon. Paying someone to clean would cause a trip fee that is just not worth it. Plus I only charge $82 per night. (and a $45 cleaning fee) What I really want to do, is ask for a cleaning deposit, and require/encourage guests to clean themselves. 

- wash dishes

- clean counters

- strip beds

- sweep the floor, etc

So all I have to do is laundry when a guest checks out! AND if the apartment looks like it is cleaned well, I can simply give guests back their deposit.

I am hoping this encourages people to be cleaner during their whole stay! I have had my place looking like A MESS when people leave. Dirty dishes piled in the sink, candy wrappers on the floor, leftover dinner sitting uncovered and molding in the refrigerator, etc. It is honestly super surprising to me, that people are so untidy. 

Anyway, is there a way I can have a cleaning deposit like I described? Does anyone do this?? It is successful??

Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂 

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Rikki6 My suggestion would be keep the cleaning fee as part of your listing setup, and just put in your house rules that it will be returned to the guest  via the the resolution centre if the property is clean when they check out. Maybe send it in your welcome message as well to remind them.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

There are several other discussion threads about the pros and cons of the cleaning fee in general and some specific to the incentive to encourage guests to clean up after themselves, @Rikki6.  Might be enlightening for you to search and read some of these.

One issue that is the definition of clean from the host perspective versus the guest perspective.  If a guest has tidied up and the surface appears good, but it is definitely not clean enough for the next guest, is that the level of deposit refund?   A difference of opinion can lead to negative reviews.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hello @Rikki6, what you are asking for is a guest who is going to be your cleaning service--with a supervisor who gets to decide how good a job they did.

Good luck with this one!

Best,

Kim
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Rikki6  Only bad things will come from this idea. Everyone has a different definition of clean. You will end up with bad reviews. Also, a guest does not want to clean up a rental to the level required for the next guest while on vacation, so they will not be happy guests.