Commercial Airbnb Property Management

Wesley67
Level 2
Plymouth, United Kingdom

Commercial Airbnb Property Management

Whilst I can see this has been explored by quite a few other hosts, I feel as though I'm potentially in a position of market power. Where I live there's just shy of 500 homes and no other Airbnb property management companies within the area. I have been hosting for almost 6 months and am enjoying the whole journey and concept so I want to expand but without having to buy my own homes. 

I have set up a business but am in the very early stages. So far it's just a website and some heavy social media and search engine advertising. Are there many other people on here that actively manage others properties and if so, what are the biggest hurdles you've found? 

I'm struggling with how I would go about contacting potential hosters to take over their property. I'm not in the estate agent industry and my contact network is limited. Although unconventional, I feel the only way is to enquire about their property as if I were wanting to make a booking. 

So my questions summarised:

1. How are you getting your name out there to other hosters and building a portfolio?
  2. Is there anything I need to watch out for that you missed?
  3. Do you find it's consuming a lot of your time?

Thanks in advance for your help and I too am welcome to any questions.

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Wesley67,

Some remarks:

You need an airbnb business acount (what after Brexit ?? )

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1321/legal-obligations-of-eu-business-hosts-offering-accommodati...

You could also act as a co-host first to manage a property for a host

Contacting a host via "contact host" textlink on a listing: Sending a commercial message maybe will not be appriciated or even not allowed (?, read Airbnb terms for that)

Wesley67
Level 2
Plymouth, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 Thanks very much for the information although unfortunately, due to our countries own misjudgment, we won't be in the EU from the 29th March. I'll have to seek further clarity on non-EU but thanks again for the input, definitely helps me a lot. 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Wesley67,

Yes, i know, i edited the message before reading your reply..

Wesley67
Level 2
Plymouth, United Kingdom

Silly Brexit! 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Wesley67

BTW you could search for "property managers" or similar keywords in the community (there is a search function at the top) and maybe look at their postings/questions or even ask them specific questions. I just came across this new topic:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Taxes-paid-by-AirBnB-on-behalf-of-hosts-This-needs-to-be... , so it's at least one found !

Good luck,

Emiel

That's one way of putting it! "Disastrous Brexit" would be another... 

Maybe you can expand your portfolio with overseas properties. I believe this way you gonna have more chance in the industry. Also, I hope this article helps you about the psychology of clients and how to contact with potentials hosters https://tranio.com/articles/the_psychology_of_sales_and_clients_-_interview_with_an_expert/

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Wesley67

You'll be able to get better advice in relation to your specific situation on Airbnb Professional Hosts FB group. The majority or the posters on the Community Centre are small independent hosts, whereas the majority of the posters on the Airbnb Professionals group are real estate agents, property management companies, VRMCs, etc. 

@Jackson55

Remote and/or overseas "hosts" who fail to have adequate onsite/local management, and whose unmonitored guests make neighbours' lives a constant misery with their anti-social behaviour, are one of the biggest (if not the  biggest) contributing factors in draconian anti-Airbnb regulations being introduced in an ever-increasing number of cities worldwide. Unfortunately for us all - and for the public perception of Airbnb - very few PMCs take sufficient responsibility for the proper and competent management of the overseas properties they "host".