Compensation

Compensation

My guests were without heating for 2 hours on arrival, what would be reasonable compensation?

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

An extra blanket 🙂 

How terribly cold was it, @Jayne14? Are they being nice about it? Could you offer something like a half pound of coffee or bottle of wine? 

Hi Lawrence,
Thank you for your response.
They arrived at 5pm  on Saturday evening and the house was cold,the heating was sorted by 7pm the same day.
This guy is fairly unpleasant!
I just want to do what is reasonable to put this right. What do you think is fair?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately these sort of things happen. While unpleasant for the guest it was only a couple of hours. In this sort of situation I would maybe provide flowers, wine, chocolates or some other small gift.

Alternatively you could divide your daily rate to get an hourly rate and then discount by two hours.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

I don't think that 2 hours without heat is worthy of compensation.  We just had 5 guests go over 2 days without internet access, although the house has it - a line was broken.  I believe THAT is worthy of compensation, and we did.  If your Guest(s) had to sleep in the cold over night, then certainly; but you shouldn't feel that because there is a glitch in your home, which happens, occurs, that you owe people something.  Unless of course it truly is an incovenience, or maybe one of your amenities breaks.  If your Guest is already rather disagreeable, offering him something for two hours of no heat, won't make him agreeable.  Please don't worry.  Even if he complains in his review, you can explain exactly what happend to the heat and that it was unforeseen and unavoidabe, for 2 hours.  Good Luck.

Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

Take them a blanket, a bottle of wine and some chocolate while aplogizing all over the place. They don't need a refund if they are staying their stay.

Claudia12
Level 10
Venice, Italy

@Jayne14, I completely agree with @Lois-and-Darryl0
If guests have been so unfriendly they probably'll write a bad review so... think about it before spending for gifts.
Please let us know what you'll decide.
Good luck
Claudia