Covid

Susan378
Level 3
Icking, Germany

Covid

Any thoughts on whether or not I could make proof of Covid vaccinations a condition of my rental? 

9 Replies 9
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

There's a long discussion about this on the "Host Circle" forum. The consensus is that we can't ask people to prove they've had the vaccination due to it being confidential medical info, however it probably depends on the laws of your country and on people's willingness to cooperate. An interesting question which will become more relevant over the coming months as vaccines are rolled out. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

My opinion is that you can state any conditions you want to for a private home rental. If you want proof of vaccination, ask for it! - If people are unwilling to give you proof, well they can book somewhere else!

@Susan378 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Susan378,

You have very lovely listings.  If you decide to request COVID-19 vaccinations of your guests, are you also going to require it from your cleaner, property manager, co-host, and disclose if you've received the vaccination?  I ask, because you stated in your listing sometimes you are on site, and I assume that you have someone cleaning and maintaining the property when you're away.  It's likely that each of you will go into the rentals at some point.

For my listings in St. Lucia, at some point the government will probably make vaccination a requirement for entry onto the island.  In my Atlanta apartment, I am sure that neither the county, state or federal government will allow vaccination to be a requirement to rent a space.  However, I can see the CDC and Homeland Security departments requiring it as a US entry requirement.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As Covid immunisations are currently only available in the UK from next week you would certainly be limiting your potential pool of visitors @Susan378  😊🤣

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

I will be immunised as soon as I am called.   I will mention this on my profile, and ask that my guests are also vaccinated once the jab is rolled out in the UK.

However, I won’t insist and I won’t want to see proof. That’s not how I do things.

@Susan378  Here is a lengthy discussion on the topic: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Checking-that-guests-have-had-the-Covid19-vaccinatio... 

There's a range of opinions there, several hosts on both sides of the fence about it. Airbnb does not currently have a policy on this, but over time they will probably have to address the issue of whether hosts can set medical requirements and/or requests medical documents.

As interesting as this line of inquiry is, it seems premature at this point in time to be setting requirements around a vaccine, as a lot unforeseeable events are going to happen between now and whatever point in the future the vaccine is universally available to all people who wish to get it (which might not be as soon as we hope).

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

In the UK, the government has announced a vaccine card, so people can prove they've had the vaccine in future, the same as we do already do with yellow fever etc. So in the future, hosts & guests will be able to demonstrate that they'll be safe to be around.  More details here:   UK coronavirus LIVE: ‘Vaccine card’ plans revealed as first Covid jabs just hours away | Evening Sta... 

Susan378
Level 3
Icking, Germany

Thank you to everyone who has responded here with your thoughtful answers.