DAMAGE DEPOSIT IS A COMPLETE LIE DO NOT BELIEVE AIRBNB

JD-and-Tina0
Level 2
Del Mar, CA

DAMAGE DEPOSIT IS A COMPLETE LIE DO NOT BELIEVE AIRBNB

There is no such thing as a damage deposit on Airbnb I cannot understand why they use the term. We have hosted over 800 rentals between various sites. This is the first time we attempted to charge a tenant. We had a tenant do damage beyond repair to not one, but three bar stools. These were top-of-the-line leather. The homes are personally cleaned by us, so we know this tenant did the damage. It was reported immediately with numerous photos etc.  Airbnb determined it was caused by wear and tear. Apparently all three decided to get deep grooves, cuts, and gauges into the barstools during the same three-day rental. Airbnb refused to pick up the phone and call us.  All we got were form email responses . Our homes will generate alot of volume  in bookings on Airbnb and this is the way we are treated? I am seriously considering pulling all my listings. It was disgusting how this was handled. A homeowner should not have a false sense of secuirty when dealing with Airbnb.  I guess it is up to the homeowner to take the tenant to court. 

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How frustrating.

If Airbnb haven't called you, then I would pick up the phone and speak to them.

By the way they are guests not tenants/

Not according to the laws of the US in almost every municipality. They are tenants who are paying rent under "Short term rental" laws, which again, almost every municipality has.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@JD-and-Tina0 

If you were a regular contributor to these blog, you would be completely versed in the BS that the host guarantee is.

as I said many times  before  it’s more honored it in the breach then in the observance.

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

@JD-and-Tina0 - we've had a few things broken and only once did we have to fight with Air about it. Keep escalating and calling. Eventually you'll get to a "case worker" or manager of some sort - even ask for one. If you give them your story they might side with you. The first tier customer service rep is almost always going to side with the tenant because that's where the money is. Air can always get more inventory...

Kathleen484
Level 1
West Palm Beach, FL

I just had a very similar experience.  I hosted someone and they broke a bowl by leaving it on top of a running washing machine but also ripped the toilet seat off of my brand new totally renovated bathroom toilet.  I had to get someone in to buy the seat and install it total charge $49.  I take a $400 security deposit so I put a charge in for the $49.  The guest refused to pay.  What is the point of having a security deposit if you can't collect on it.  

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kathleen484 

You can follow up the refusal with a request for resolution.

Airbnb will decide the outcome.