Day 15: Digg up the architect

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Day 15: Digg up the architect

Digg up the architect - just for fun

Over a decade ago, we rented our French seaside home to families with kids during the summer. The rest of the year guests were people coming for business or for treatment in the nearby thermal bath.
The town of Sète was founded in 1671, to serve as a port at one end of the Canal du Midi, a channel to connect the Mediterranean with the Atlantic. Creating the channel between 1666 and 1681 was the biggest construction work of the 17 century. It leads over 241 km to Toulouse, so fret could go by the river Garonne from Bordeaux to Toulouse, then by channel to the Mediterranean coast or go North by the Rhone river to Lyon and further. Nowadays it’s riverboats full of tourists, who enjoy the quiet pace of the waterway shaded by plane trees. 
As the town was built within a very short period, many buildings are constructed in the same way. They have only a small front to the street, but stretch very long. The ground floors were used as warehouses for the port activity, the higher floors for living. The walls are in stone, nearly four feet thick in our building,  and windows are set deep, to protect from the heat. The construction in the 17 century attracted many Italian workers, who settled there, enriching the language, culinary arts and the lifestyle. 

Once we got a booking from a Dutch couple for 5 days in January as the husband had to undergo surgery in a private clinic in our town. It sounded very bad, he would stay in hospital the whole time and the wife needed a place close by to be with him all the time. Poor lady, so worried over her husband! We offered a special deal for the 5 days, instead of the one week minimum. We exchanged contracts and they saw that there were more beds in the flat. The evening before arrival, they called late and asked if they could bring a couple of friends along, to keep the lady company. I accepted and did not even think about asking for a surcharge, as I imagined her very worried, staying close to her husband’s hospital bed waiting for the outcome of the surgery. Friends would be a huge support.
"Go ahead and good luck for the surgery!" After ending the call, we regretted a bit as normally we would not offer a special price and accept four adults. But Christmas was still close and it was for a good purpose…

The next day, we got an email: The second double bed was too small for the second couple.
I proposed that the friends take the main bedroom where we had a huge imported double bed and the lady takes the other bed. Anyway, would not the husband sleep in hospital?

Next email: No, the husband would not stay every night in hospital and the bed was too small, they wanted a reduction.
I answered that I could not give a reduction on a zero surcharge, that the living room couch could be transformed into a double bed too. As small, a bit shorter, being the French standard size, but they could use all three beds to sleep well.

Next day, next mail: the mattress in the second bedroom was too thin, under 5 cm / 2 inch and they wanted a reduction.
I answered that we had this mattress custom made to get the extra length for a tall son, it was an acceptable quality as having produced a mattress to mesure costs so much money, that nobody would do this with a cheap mattress. Please check the thickness with the ruler beside the computer as I’m sure that 5 cm is a wrong estimation. As the contract was made for two persons and describes all bed sizes in detail, there can be no reduction on a non existing surcharge.

Another day, another mail: the balcony is too small to eat outside in the evening. Therefore they wanted a reduction. (It was the time of 5 photos per ad and limited words).
We answered that we mentioned this for summer bookings to foreigners but that we did not expect someone to plan to dine on a balcony in January, even in the South of France. Did they wish to watch their water glasses freeze over? We could not grant a reduction on this argument.

By then, my husband checked the clinic’s specialities: birth and haemorrhoids. We had a good laugh about our foolishness and exchanged some obvious salacious barbs which I can’t write in English 😉

They left finally but sent us another mail after receipt of the torn up deposit check. They had found out that in our home all walls were irregular, the corners were not right angled and the ceiling was not straight. This was unusual as in their new Dutch pavilion this was not the case and merited a reduction.
We ended the discussion with a last answer: « We already realised that such is the case in all the buildings dating from the foundation of the town. We believe it contributes to the charm of old buildings, but if you have a problem with it, you should discuss it with Louis XIV's architect. He died in 1680 but his grave may still be found. »

(I mentioned the origin of the guests, as Dutch people are the tallest Europeans, whilst Mediterraneans - and their beds - are small.)

This couple came in 2004 or 2005, when travellers were expected to live like locals. That apartment was sold a few years ago and the new owner proceeded to transform it to match the short term rental norm of today. He tore down the separation walls, set straight walls before the irregular ones, lowered the ceiling to get it straight and lost the surface of a room, half a body length in height and all the charm and authenticity. 

20 Replies 20
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Wonderful story @Helga0! I laughed so much at the antics of your guests - I'm sure you were glad to see them leave. Hemorroid surgery, eh? LOL - Karen

Or maybe preparing a male birth? We did not ask 😉

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

My goodness @Helga0... it never ceases to amaze me how pple who get a great price on a deal turn out to be some of the most unthankful complainers! And then to think that so many tourists pay top price to see historical architecture, but then bitch when paying bottom price to stay in it (insert eye rolling emoji here)

The historic buildings in Sète have no basements, to prevent flooding, but otherwise a historic dungeon would be a great bottom price offer 😉 

@Helga0Write it into your new TV series!  THIS IS PERFECT!

Kim
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Lol learn something today ask what kind of surgery Husband is haveing good one can't stop laughing,sharing this story with friends 

Ha ha, great story, Helga. 

Dig up the architect-- no reduction... additional Airbnb experience or what?    <?;-/

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I really like your story, @Helga0. First of all I like architecture and history in general, so it is very interesting. Anyway, what I thought really funny it was your response using irony and sense of humour, telling the guests to discuss their problems with Louis XIV's architect! 🙂

It is a blessing that now, we the hosts can write a review on the guest's profile. From my experience, I can say that, in general, guests that book via Airbnb are more selected and if they are reasonable, they do not behave improperly.
Before I jointed Airbnb, In the past I had two guests from hell that tried by all means to cause problems, creating all kind of problems to be partially refunded without any reasonable reason. They were crooks and certainly they have done this many times because a normal person usually is less bold when lying.

I came accross it in the forums many years later, @J-Renato0, but some people are really convinced, that they should get more than the deal includes. I had a boss once, who explained to me, that in a dinner invitation, the flowers you bring should be worth less than the food you get. Maybe I learned to negotiate with that kind of people in my salary negociations with him 😉 

But you are right, a system like airbnb's, with reviews and help in the community makes our live much easier. When you come accross such ideas the first time, you feel somewhat at fault and let them get away with it. It helps, when you are prepared.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Helga0

Thank you for saving my day and add a day to my life 🙂  

Are you still in the Languedoc ? Then we might just be neighbours down south.  

Hi @Marit-Anne0, I'll spend two month in the Languedoc, from Jan 1st on. Do you got there for holidays? When? It would be a pleasure to meet you. I have no car, but trains are good and I could make a day trip to any of the bigger town or you could do so. Sète is worth a day and I'd like to sho you the town. 

@Helga0

Thank you Helga. Sent you a private message.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Helga0, what a great story!

1) A good plot/great narrative

2) The plot thickens... complicates...oh, dear!

3) The dynamics of the characters... manipulations/kindness/more manipulations

4) THE DEAD BODY!

You should write for a TV series... you could easily draw this out into a full season if you decorated it a bit more! 

Best always, and No 'BUTTS' about it!

Kim

@Kimberly54, I love crime and murder stories too - I had not realised that I even found a dead body in mine. 😉